*eight*

Reality hits me over and over. And with each wave of remembering, an intense pit in my stomach accompanies.

Will is dead.

Barb is missing.

Nothing would ever be the same.

I wasn't the only one feeling off. There was a distinct energy throughout the school today. Whispers under everyone's breath regarding Will Byer's death. Speculations as to who may have killed him if it wasn't simply just an accident.

My nailbeds are picked raw by the time we finish lunch and head to our English class. I knew we needed to talk to the cops about what happened, and that was part of it. But another was an anger that bubbled inside of me. That people suddenly cared about this kid now he was dead.

"Nancy Wheeler and Matilda Henderson?"

We both look up to find the office secretary, Mrs. Kluntz, at the door of our classroom. She smiles politely. "If you'd both follow me please."

The gaze of our classmates burns through me as I gather my things. Their eyes follow us as we jump up towards the doorway. I could only imagine what they were thinking of us.

The office aid's heels clonk against the linoleum floor as we follow her down the hall. My fingers grip the strap of my backpack in an attempt to ease my nerves, but it doesn't do shit.

We turn into the cafeteria, where two police officers and Mrs. Wheeler sit and wait for us. Nancy's mom jumps up and embraces Nancy in a hug, then turns and does the same for me.

Her gesture surprises me, but I melt into her touch and let her hold me for a moment. It seems to alleviate the worry that collected in my chest on the dreaded walk here.

We settle down at the table across from the officers. The smell of lasagna and burnt breadsticks still lingers in the air, which unsettles my stomach even further. My leg bounces uncontrollably under the table.

"Well I'm Officer Callahan," the man on the left points to himself, then gestures to his partner. "This is Officer Powell. And we're here because you two told Mr. and Mrs. Holland that you were the last ones to see their daughter on Tuesday night. Does that sound correct?"

The two of us nod our heads, "Yes, that's right," Nancy says.

"So, let's run through the events of that night," the other officer leans forward, his fingers interlocked in front of him. "Could one of you tell me what exactly you were doing two nights ago?"

Nancy and I look to each other to see who will speak first. "Uh, well," I begin, "Steve Harrington told us he wanted to hang out, so he invited the three of us to come over along with a couple of his friends."

"That would be Tommy Hagan and Carol Perkins."

"Yes," I confirm. "That's them."

"And what did you guys do while you were there?" The officer on the left asks with a nasally voice.

"We were just hanging out," Nancy blurts. "Talking around the pool. It was lowkey."

"Was there alcohol involved?"

Officer Callahan stares at me as he asks the question. It seems like he is trying to intimidate me into some wild confession. My jaw clenches as I stare right back, unwilling to give into his games.

Nancy glances at me before she shakes her head, "No. Like I said- we were just hanging out."

"Me and Barb didn't really want to be there," I change the subject, "I told her I was going home and said she should come with me. But she wanted to wait for Nancy."