01

-

-

"come on, ky! we're supposed to be there in 10 minutes!" camryn yells from my bed.

"i'm just finishing my eyeliner, hold on!" i yell back from my en-suite bathroom, where i am getting ready for my best friends birthday party. micah turns 18 today, and since it's a friday, he threw a party. micah LOVES parties, so he finds any excuse to host or attend one.

micah and i have been best friends ever since we were babies. our mothers have been best friends since they met their first day of high school. they even went to college together at yale. after college, they decided to move here, to charlestown, rhode island. they wanted to have kids around the same age so that they would be friends, but micah's mom, bridget, couldn't get pregnant for a few years. my mom had my brother, kade, at 24. finally, bridget got pregnant with micah, and lo and behold, my mom, abigail, got pregnant with me 4 months later.

after i was born, my parents decided that two kids was enough for them. micah's parents, on the other hand, had 3 more after him- his 3 sisters, elena, nora, and adeline. our families have always been extremely close. we go on vacations with each other every summer. we have christmas at each other's houses. we celebrate birthdays as one big family.

because micah and i are the same age, we became extremely close friends. our parents even let us have sleepovers, something that most parents wouldn't let their kids do with the opposite sex.

now here we are, 18 years later. august 25th. micah's birthday. my birthday is in 4 months, december 5th, so i am one of the last of my friends to turn 18. micah and i have a very close knit friend group, consisting of him and i, my girl friends sylvie and camryn, and his guy friends boston and reece. after today, reece and i are the only 17 year olds, something that our other friends tease us about. we're all about to start our senior year at charlestown high school.

"done!" i say as i emerge from my bathroom. camryn and sylvie both stand up from their place on my bed. they both look stunning. sylvie is wearing a short dusty pink satin dress, which hugs her figure beautifully. she has her bleach blonde hair in a slicked back ponytail. camryn is wearing a short emerald green dress that has an adorable bustier style top. my dress is white satin, with silver tassels on one side of my thigh. i curled my dark brown hair so that it flows down my back in waves.

"ahhhh! you look so hot!" sylvie exclaims. i grin as i strap on my silver heels. we head out and make the 2 minute walk down the street to micah's house.

once we near his house, we can hear the music blasting even though the party doesn't start for another hour. micah wanted our group to be there early, before any of the other party goers.

"i bet you 20 bucks boston is already hammered." camryn laughs as we make our way up micah's huge driveway. sylvie and i voice our agreement.

when we step inside micah's enormous house, i immediately spot the guys in the living room, gathered around the flatscreen tv playing a video game. an empty pizza box is on the coffee table in front of them, as well as a few beer cans. they don't seem to hear us come in, although with the volume of the music mixed with the sounds of their video game, it would be a miracle if they did. i walk up behind micah and flick his nose.