Chapter 3: New responsibilities

A zephyr briskly blew by, brushing past one of many gardens of Bourbeux, shafts of light entering from its glassy walls, sheening the plants and trees that littered the area. A tree was planted among a circular cloister, four paths protruding from the open gates, that stretched towards the platform that held the benches that surrounded the tree.

A woman hummed sitting among the benches, as she gently swayed the baby in her arms. She was clad in royal garments, with purple eyes, thin red lips, pale ivory skin, and black hair tied into a bun, with its hair roots colored purple, and a crown resting upon her head. "La, lala, la lala la." She sang her voice a melodic tune that rang throughout the room. Sudden footfall alerted her of someone approaching, "Did you get some sleep?" The familiar voice of the King spoke,

"I couldn't sleep, I spent the entire night watching over Arthur."

The king smiled, before gently embracing her, "I would do the same." The two stood there, enveloped in comfortable silence, as Arthur slept in his mother's arms.

Just then, a sudden sensation washed over them, before the feeling of failing came crashing down upon the duo. Their surroundings shifted, first it was a blur of different colors, before changing into a flat field with dark clouds looming overhead. The King shook his head, ridding his body of the weird sensation, and getting a hold of his senses. "Where are we?" He said, eyeing the environment, to see leave-less trees and rotted grass. A sudden gasp caused him to turn to his wife, whose eyes were dilated with horror.

"Cedric! Arthur is gone!"

King Cedric froze in shock, his heart hammering against his chest, as he tried to speak, only to mutter incoherent words.

A sudden clap of lightning flashed across the dull lit sky, and soon came the booming sound of thunder, ringing through the duo's ears, as the winds started to whip around, as raindrops began to fall from the aloft clouds. The two struggled to maintain their balance, as the tempest started to rise into a ferocious hurricane, causing bare trees to bend in the direction of the wind, and rip rocks and specks of dirt off the ground.

The world suddenly flickered, a blur of color overtaking their vision as a sudden piercing sound rang throughout the area, and as if the world suddenly glitched, the rain ceased, and the hurricane that consumed them suddenly shifted into something unnatural, in a blink of an eye they weren't in the face of a hurricane, instead, they were inside a ferocious tornado, its winds swirling uncontrollably as the both of them barely manage to stand.

Abrupt shouts came from the distance, "Majesties!" The whirlwind seemingly roared in rage, as the tempest started to fasten in pace, forcing them to cover their eyes. "Immor?" Cedric shouted back, only to receive nigh undecipherable words caused by the thunderous winds. "Your Majesty! It's Arthur! Use the necklace!" The person shouted.

The shout came out dampened by the wind, but nevertheless, the King understood, he grabbed his necklace, hidden inside his attire. It was a glass bottle with liquid inside that was so clear that it looked empty. He pulled the necklace, the beaded cord snapping from the force. He drew his hand upwards, before throwing the necklace to the ground, it exploded into smoke that quickly encased the duo.

Their environments started to shift once more before the strange sensation of failing overtook them. Cedric quickly shook his head, and looked around his surroundings, to see they were back in the garden, with Arthur safely sleeping in his mother's arms. "What happened?" She spoke, her voice laced with confusion as she stared at Cedric. "Arthur's ability," Immor said, his voice laced with realization, as he began to stride towards the duo slowly. "Oh, dear..." The king spoke, eyeing Arthur worriedly, while he rubbed his forehead, trying to fight the incoming headache.

(-)

The sun slowly rose from the horizon, causing strokes of orange and yellow to overtake the sky, birds chirped merrily as they flitted by Clara's house. Inside the house was the hunter, laying on the couch as he gazed out of the open window, listening to the melodic sound of nature, the song of the rustling leaves, the tune of humming and buzzing of insects, the music that whistled through a bird's beak, it was an exotic euphony that gave a soothing sensation.

A sudden aroma hit his nose, the smell of lavender. The hunter turned his head, to see Clara approaching him, she wore her nightwear, with the scent of Lavender practically emitting from her body. Clara let out a yawn, "Did you get some sleep?" She asked. The hunter huffed before repositioning himself, "It was fine." A moment of silence enveloped the two, before the hunter spoke once more, "I never thought I'd be back here." The hunter continued.

"I knew you were gonna be like this!" The hunter yelled.

"Get. out." Clara declared.

"Wha-" The Hunter was silenced by Clara's glare.

"I. said. GET OUT!" The hunter fought the tears that threatened to fall,

"FINE!"

The hunter shook his head, unwilling to dwell in the past. Clara smacked her lips, before striding towards the kitchen, "Tell me about it." She chuckled, as the hunter shook his head once more, laughing as he did so.

(-)

Cedric meandered around his room, his head filled with thoughts that bounced off the edges of his skull. The sun was midway through its journey, its rays entering from the open window. Immor sat crossed-legged near the bed, his eyes closed and his eyebrows furrowed. "So? What have you found?" The king asked, his eyes shifting towards Immor,

"With all due respect Your Majesty, I can't exactly focus with you mumbling around."

Cedric chuckled sheepishly, "Sorry, I'm just worried the gems might have fallen into the wrong hands." Immor shook his head, "That is quite impossible, Your Majesty. The last person who wielded the gems is the one who's going to pick the new owner." Immor reassured, opening his eyes to face the king, yet the tiny flame of doubt the king had, was yet to be extinguished. "Yes, I know how it works... But, what if the same happens... You know what ended up happening."

Immor shook his head, "Well, if that is the case. Giant hungry demons would be here by now, Your Majesty." Immor spoke with dry sarcasm, before closing his eyes once more. "What? I mean you can never be too careful right?" Immor sighed. A comfortable silence enveloped the two, as Immor regained his focus.

Just then, Immor gasped for breath, as his head began to convulse sporadically. "Immor?! Immor?!" The king said, his voice coated with panic as he stared at his friend. Immor gasped once more before his eyes opened and his body froze. "I-I found him." Cedric dashed towards Immor, "Found who?" Cedric asked. "Draco... He's alive..." The flame of doubt the king had was suddenly doused by the hope and joy that washed over him, he stared at Immor, a smile spreading across his lips.

Story by: Iza

Written by: Dusty

Written by: Dusty

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.