11.

chapter eleven — stepping into the beasts lair

Mateo lathered more sunscreen onto his arms and chest; the sun was beaming harsher today than any other and he really didn't feel like getting burned by its rays. The older women laying themselves out on their chairs gawked at him while he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. One of them gave him a small seductive wave and he placed his sunglasses back on, ignoring their looks and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Don't they all have husbands or something?" A voice below him asked amusingly and Mateo smiled in recognition. He climbed down from his post to greet his friend.

Sam beamed brightly, a towel draped across his shoulder and a small tote bag tucked beneath it. The pool would never have been his first choice of a hangout spot, but because he had the day off he thought he could give his friend a visit. He hadn't seen the eldest Vasquez in three days.

Mateo grimaced, "It's alarming how many married women have made passes at me." He reached to take his sunglasses off and placed them in his pocket.

"I bet Hargrove loves the attention." Sam rolled his eyes and the two peaked over at Billy who looked anything but normal; he was wearing a long sleeve shirt and a towel draped over his legs. Typically, it was hard to get him to put any shirt on if he didn't have to. Mateo figured it might have something to do with how strange he was acting the other night.

He shook his head and let out a deep exhale, "I hate that guy. Apparently, he was sleeping with one of the moms, or at least attempted to, but now he and Heather are going steady?" Sam drew his eyebrows together, matching his friends' confusion, and scoffed.

"Heather Holloway? Her dad would never let a guy like Billy hang around his daughter and I would know, we grew up together and he was never fond of me hanging around their house." He remarked and Mateo threw his hands up in frustration. He thought it was extremely peculiar how Heather's parents seemed to be wrapped around Billy's finger the previous night. She was always going on about how she loved her dad but hated how he always stuck his nose in her relationships. Maybe Billy was just a really good smooth-talker.

"That's exactly what I was thinking!" He groaned and Sam couldn't help but smile. He noticed the small strands of Mateo's brown hair that turned golden underneath the sunlight, like they were dipped in honey. His skin was tanner then when they first met – which he knew was due to the constant sun exposure.

"What?" Mateo laughed and Sam shook his head, his gentle smile never leaving his face.

"You just look in your element, that's all — like you're fitting right in finally. You look happy." He whispered to which Mateo's smile faltered as he thought of the recent events he found himself in – despite the looming shadow that hovered over him constantly, he was trying to be happy.

If he were to be completely honest, he was glad that he got to go on a detective escapade with his sister and step inside her world for a moment. Life was still chaotic and messy, but he realized that amongst it all they had each other. They always did.

"Well, my sister and I have been getting along really well," He said and Sam raised both his eyebrows in surprise. "Yeah! I took your advice and tried stepping into her shoes and empathizing with her. It reminded me of when we were kids and she was attached to my hip. It's been nice, thanks." He gave his friend a small smile as he shoved his hands into his pockets. Sam placed both his palms on Mateo's shoulders.

"See! I knew deep down inside the tin-can man had a heart. You really oughta start trusting in my advice, Vasquez." He teased, dropping his hands back to his side.