I Fear You Won't Be Back

The can slipped out of my hand, dropping with a dull clank and rolling down the aisle a way. I sighed heavily, going to retrieve it. The monotony was becoming tiring. The static humdrum of stocking shelves and serving customers was beginning to no longer make me feel accomplished, but it made me feel bored.  I picked up the now dented can, sighing again. What was I doing with my life?

"Oh shit...if I'd known you were here, I wouldn't have come," a voice that made the irritation in me rise to the surface said from behind me. I ignored him, placing the dented can on the shelf and reaching for another. He scoffed, grabbing the can I had just shelved.

"Fuck off, Munson."

He scoffed again.

"Man, the customer service here sucks balls. Maybe I should report that to the manager?" He remarked slyly, and I knew from the tone of his voice he was smirking. I thought about not dignifying him with a response, I really did, but I just couldn't let him get away with his sly remarks.

I finally turned to him, crossing my arms over my chest and levelling him with a glare. He was obviously amused.

"You are the most annoying person I've ever crossed paths with. And don't even get me started on the sound of your irritating voice."

He huffed out a laugh.

"You'll love me one of these days," he said almost offhandedly. I narrowed my eyes at the man, who backed away with his hands up in surrender.  Finally, he turned away and went down another aisle. I breathed out in relief. God, he was always so frustrating!

My "rivalry" with Eddie began in our freshman year of highschool.

"Mmm I don't know about that...it would probably be bad luck to let a girl in our DND club," the then short-haired boy said, looking to the other members, who collectively agreed with him, because he was the leader and they had no brains of their own to use.

I sighed, having realized prior my being a girl would probably be the deciding factor of my joining the club. I was right. These stupid boys of course discriminated against me because I wasn't a boy.

"Fine. If you won't let me join your club, I'll start my own." 

The boys started laughing obnoxiously. Obviously, it wasn't funny to me. I meant what I'd said. Since they wouldn't let me into their club simply because I was a girl, I would start my own club.

"Yeah, well you can try, but you'd be the only one in your club. No other girls would play DND."

"Well watch me, Munson. I'll start my own club, and I won't allow any boys!"

True to my words, I set out the next day to find club members. Unfortunately, only one other girl displayed an ounce of interest. She didn't know how to play, and I had to explain everything to her. I used up all my patience to help her learn, but she just didn't understand.

It didn't help that Munson popped in, watching us from the corner of the room.

"This is a great club, Johnson," he said with a smirk after I let the girl leave. I sighed heavily, the pang of disappointment ringing within me. I really thought I could do something, make a point, but obviously, nothing I did ever worked out.

"Can it, Munson," I murmured dejectedly as I began to pick up all the character pieces. He silently moved to help me, and one by one, we had the game cleaned up. When I was sure I had everything packed up, I headed out the door of the classroom, the brown-eyed boy following me.