Five: First Bagel

Levi Ackerman is a combat engineer, a retired fighter pilot, and a fan of watery black tea. And my ex-boyfriend's new boss.

Ivy pulled her brain to try and think of some other thing to say about Levi. She tried to come up with some quip about his shiny oxford shoes, his fresh cut hair, his smooth black cape-coat and pressed trousers. The only things she could come up to say were a little mean - how he looked too pristine for her to picture him in the military, how he had looked miserable their whole interaction, how he was a man and her height. It all felt too mean to write about someone she didn't really know. She flipped a few pages back and began working on another entry.

...always comes in for a strawberry donut and black coffee, like clockwork. I think he's got a little thing for Sasha, sometimes if she's not working he'll come back later. It would be creepy if he wasn't her age and sort of charming looking, with a military buzzed head and round green eyes.

Ivy shut her book, a little frustrated. None of her writing was coming out right. Work was miserable. Eren was all cocky and happy because of his new job and she was too embarrassed to tell him she'd had to sell her car because she couldn't come up with money for the repairs.

That was the most she could think about it without it making her emotional at work. She closed her feelings away with her notebook and returned to the front room, dusting her hands off on her apron. She jumped a little to see the devil himself, Mr. Ackerman, standing observing the pastry fridge where a few stale bagels sat.

"Oh! Levi." She smiled, suddenly embarrassed to have left the register unattended. "I'm so sorry, I hope I didn't keep you waiting." He was seriously back? After the last cup of tea she'd served him? He must have bad taste after all. Bad enough to hire Eren.

"You didn't." He glanced at her a second, and then back down at the bagels. "Just an everything bagel."

"Sure - would you like it sliced or toasted or anything?"

"Sliced and toasted is fine. Cream cheese on the side."

Levi watched Ivy the entire time she worked. She could feel his steel eyes boring into her back as she changed her gloves and prepared a small to-go sauce cup of cream cheese.

"Do you work closeby?" She made light conversation, trying to diffuse the awkwardness. They were the only two in the shop. "I didn't realize there was a base near here."

"I'm just here for some meetings in the city. And to help train Eren, he's been working hard in the shop today."

A beat passed before Ivy turned around, eyes a little wide. "Eren's working today?"

"Yes." Levi raised a brow, eyes flickering from his bagel back up to Ivy. She was squeezing it.

"Oh." Eren was supposed to pick her up from work. He'd said he would earlier in the week. Realizing her stature, Ivy released her grip on Levi's bagel and finished wrapping it, setting it on the counter beside the register. "3.75, please."

As always, Levi's hand graced the tip jar as he picked up his bagel. Ivy noticed the lack of tea accompanying it - he must have learned his lesson.

"Thank you." She smiled shortly. Levi only nodded, turning around and heading for the door.