Chapter 6: Reedshine's accusations

A/N: I don't own Warriors. Erin Hunter does. I just play with the characters.

" Speech"
Thoughts, dreams
' Flashback'

Mapleshade was curled up in her nest with her kits beside her in a pile of brown, orange, and white. The trio had been playing with Nettlecloud's moon old kits and were exhausted because of it. Snowkit, Blizzardkit and Pebblekit can be rather rowdy sometimes. And they are more energetic than you'd think.

As the tortoiseshell and white queen dozed off she didn't notice the fact that Reedshine was watching her kits with a rather hateful expression on her face. I still can't believe that I have to share a den with her and her half-Clan spawn. At least she now knows that her kits aren't Appledusk's. They have no father.

Later that day Mapleshade was washing herself in front of the nursery when she saw Reedshine padding out of the den with Honeykit, Lightkit and Willowkit bounding around her paws.

Reedshine saw Mapleshade and hissed slightly. The dark orange queen looked furious but kept her cool. How dares she act as if she belongs in RiverClan? She doesn't, and never will.

Mapleshade ignored the dark orange she-cat by looking around the camp as if she'd be looking for someone.

After a couple of heartbeats, Mapleshade saw Birchfoot emerging from the reed tunnel, his fur sleek with water, carrying a few minnows in his jaws. He must have been hunting. I still have no idea how to fish even though I have been a part RiverClan for the moon and a half, almost two.

The dark brown and white tabby purred, noticing Mapleshade.

" How are you? Have the kits behaved?" He asked, flicking his tail in greeting.

Mapleshade purred, replying. " I'm fine. And yes, they have if you mean my kits. "

Birchfoot nodded, still purring. " That's good to hear. Have you eaten yet?" He asked.

Mapleshade shook her head. " Not yet. "

" Would you like to share prey with me?" He asked, pointing to a carp in the fresh kill pile with his tail.

Mapleshade nodded. " Carp is the favorite of my kits. Especially Larchkit likes it. "

Birchfoot purred,nodding. " I see. "

As the dark brown and white tabby took the fish from the pile, Mapleshade noticed that one of the apprentices, a light brown and white tom called Toadpaw was staring at her. The young cat had a look of disgust on his face.

Mapleshade noticed that Toadpaw was flanked by one of the new warriors, Perchpelt who sneered at her.

The tortoiseshell and white queen ignored the apprentice and the newly minted warrior, padding over to Birchfoot while purring.

As the white and brown tom took a bite of the carp he noticed Perchpelt and Toadpaw glaring at Mapleshade. She has done nothing to them, yet they treat her like has a greencough or something. Is it because she is originally from ThunderClan or that Appledusk was the mentor of Perchpelt? Or even both?

Mapleshade took a bite of the fish, unaware of his thoughts. She enjoyed moments like this because it made her feel like she belonged in RiverClan.

After eating her fill Mapleshade took a piece of the carp and gave it to her kits who clambered over to her, tails flicking with excitement.

" Carp! It's my favorite!" Larchkit mewed, his amber eyes shining excitedly while Petalkit moved toward the piece of prey with a more cautious expression.