Labor of Love

We rushed back to our room and Soo-yun went in to examine her. Sure enough, Jang-mi was in labor. Da-eun joined her, asking how she could help. Soo-yun sent her to get her birthing supplies in case they had to cut Jang-mi open. Hours passed and I grew frantic. I listened outside the room as Jang-mi's groans of pain gradually grew louder, then turned into screams. After I heard her screaming for the third time, I barged into the room to check on her. She was drenched in sweat, her face pale, and gasping for air.

"Out!" Soo-yun ordered.

"She is MY wife! I want to be by her side!"

Da-eun got up, grabbed my arms, and tried to pull me out of the room. "You will only be a distraction. Soo-yun and Jang-mi need to focus."

"Chan-yeol! Please, I need Chan-yeol!" Jang-mi cried.

"No, you do not, dear. You need to focus so you can have a safe delivery," Soo-yun insisted. "Men are just a distraction."

"Chan-yeol will help me focus! He is not a distraction!"

"He needs to leave!"

"NO! HE STAYS!" Jang-mi shouted with all of her strength, then she screamed in pain again, her face turning bright red from the strain. Her chest heaved as she desperately tried to catch her breath after screaming.

"Remember to breathe, Jang-mi," Da-eun said as she knelt by her side and pressed a cool cloth to her forehead.

"Da-eun, it is time. Get behind her and help sit her up so she can push," Soo-yun ordered.

"Here, let me!" I insisted. I sat behind her and carefully lifted her, resting her back on my chest. "I am here, Jang-mi. I have got you." Da-eun handed me the cloth and I blotted Jang-mi's sweat off of her face and neck. I then kissed her on the head. "We are going to do this, you and I. We are going to help our baby into the world together."

Soo-yun was visibly upset at my presence. Jang-mi did not care. She stayed true to herself. "I see you are not pleased Soo-yun," she said as she breathed heavily. "But you must understand that Chan-yeol and I are different. And Chan-yeol will tell you that if I have my mind set on something, there is no stopping me."

"That is true, Soo-yun. Jang-mi is persistent," I smiled. "It is one of the many things I love about her."

"Eh! What am I going to do with you two?" she shook her head. "Fine. Time to focus. Da-eun, help hold her legs. The next contraction is about to start."

Sure enough, within seconds the contraction started and Jang-mi started to scream again.

"Push! You must push!" Soo-yun ordered. Jang-mi used what little strength she had to try to push. Soo-yun shook her head. I could tell she was concerned. "I fear you are too weak from the bedrest. We will try two more times. If there is no progress, I will have to cut you open to take the baby out."

"I can do this! Chan-yeol is with me. I can do this."

The next contraction came and Jang-mi pushed with all her might. This time Soo-yun did not shake her head.

"There you go! A few more pushes like that, Jang-mi, and your baby will be here."

When the following contraction came, the baby was almost out.

"You are doing it, Jang-mi!" Da-eun beamed.

"No, WE are doing it. Chan-yeol and I are doing it," Jang-mi smiled.

I kissed her on the head and praised her. "This is all you, Jang-mi. I am just here to keep you company."

Another contraction hit, and Soo-yun cheered her on. "Push! Push! Push! It is almost here! I have got it!" She pulled the baby out and Da-eun helped her clean it off. We heard it start to cry. Da-eun swaddled it up in a blanket. "You have a beautiful baby boy!" Soo-yun smiled as Da-eun handed Jang-mi our son. He was so tiny but appeared to be healthy. His crying soon calmed, and he began cooing, content to be bundled up securely in a blanket. Jang-mi's beautiful smile suddenly turned into a grimace, and she started to scream in pain again.