I.

࿇ ══━━━━✥◈✥━━━━══ ࿇

𝗕𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴, 𝗯𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴, 𝗯𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴, 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲?

࿇ ══━━━━✥◈✥━━━━══ ࿇

Phoebe truly hated moving, she never grew accustomed to the putrid feeling in her stomach that accompanied her many transitions between schools throughout her life.

The only difference this time was that not only would she be attending a new school in an entirely different country, but she'd also be the only female student to ever be admitted in the entire history of the institution.

This did not sit well with her. Not one bit.

The anxious noise of parents fretting over their sons made her painfully aware of her singularity in the front pew of the church.

I suppose this is what happens to lonely people she thought to herself, shaking her head in disbelief, they're left at the mercy of the harpies occupying the stage.

She couldn't help but stare at the sour-looking faculty who were all sitting snootily in what she assumed had to be their assigned seating order.

It's as if they only hired the most kiss-ass people they could find, good lord how are most of them not dust yet? They're absolutely prehistoric.

Just then, the piercing noise of bagpipes brought her back to reality as everyone else in the church synchronously turned to look at the entrance.

One by one a line of students walked into the room, four of them carrying a banner per person, each inscribed with one of the four pillars of Welton Academy: tradition, honour, discipline, and excellence.

Phoebe could only stare distastefully at the scene as the students slowly marched past her. She scowled and muttered under her breath when a sudden moment of eye contact was made with the student carrying 'excellence'.

The boy smirked at her silently to which she quirked a distrustful brow and turned to stare towards the wall far ahead of her.

Coincidently, the boy turned the corner and stood directly in front of her, locking sights with Phoebe once again and sending her another flash of a grin. She scoffed at his forwardness but couldn't fight the small smile that was creeping onto her face.

This caused a greatly satisfied look to bloom on the boy's visage as he continued his duties and walked away to set his banner down and take his place in the audience with his parents.

The procession soon ended and an elderly robe-clad man walked up to the podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys, the light of
the knowledge," Mr. Nolan, the headmaster of Welton, began his speech, "One hundred years ago, in 1859, forty-one boys sat in this room and were asked the same question that now greets you at the start of each semester. Gentlemen, what are the four pillars?", he boomed.

Almost robotically all of the veteran students shot up from their seats and chanted, "Tradition! Honour! Discipline!
Excellence!"

Mr. Nolan grinned and continued, "In her first year, Welton Academy graduated five students. Last year we graduated fifty-one and more than seventy-five percent of those went on to the Ivy League. This, this kind of accomplishment is the result of fervent dedication to the principles taught here. This is why you parents have been sending your sons. This is why we are the best preparatory school in the United States.

"As you know, our beloved Mr. Portius of the English Department retired last term. You will have the opportunity later to meet his replacement, Mr. John Keating, himself an honour's graduate of this school and who, for the past several years, has been teaching at the highly regarded Chester School in London."

The middle-aged educator rose from his seat as a round of applause ensued at his introduction.
The assembly was quickly concluded soon after and people began to flood out of the building.

Phoebe waited until most of the audience had gone before she began to stand to exit as well, finally.

"Ms. Elke," called a voice behind her, great she thought to herself.

The girl turned to see Mr. Nolan walking towards her, then motioning for her to follow after him with his meaty red hand as he made his way out of the church.

After a long and tedious walk through the halls, Phoebe found herself being sat down in Mr. Nolan's office.
The older man settled himself behind his desk and looked at her sternly with his beady eyes.

"Ms. Elke, I hope you understand the extremely unique position you have found yourself in through your admittance into this institution." Mr. Nolan began and he hitched his hands together atop his desk.

"I do sir," the girl nodded politely.

"And you do understand that because of  this there are also an additional set of rules you are expected to abide by during your time here, correct?" Mr. Nolan persisted.

"Yes sir, I do" she answered, anything to get out of there faster.

"Very well," the old man sighed as he unlocked one of his desk drawers and pulled out a folder, "in here are a map of the school and a key to your dorm, your schedule, and a list of all the added rules we have set for you. Your bags should already have been taken to your room so there's no need to worry about that."

"Thank you, Mr. Nolan," Phoebe hastily responded with a smile as she quickly took the folder as kindly as she could from the man and made her way out of his office, "now lets see how quickly I can get lost, shall we?" the girl muttered to herself as she made her way through the campus, hunting for room 485 and some peace of mind.

࿇ ══━━━━✥◈✥━━━━══ ࿇

THE PANDORA POST:

Chapter 1 done! Can't wait for you all to read it!

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed!