her people first

The sound of people and metal wakes Aphrodite and Stan, they get up slowly and do their routine before opeing the door, seeing people wearing the brown mask and carrying their clothes, blankets and many more things, soldiers with gloves carrying the sick with their pale skin and coughing uncontrollable, desperately trying to control their breath and placing them on the back of the vehicles with blankets and pillows and then wearing the gloves off and burning them in a small fire and going to the vehicles.

A soldier comes to them and says "please for the safety of others and yours, wear a mask" Aphrodite goes back and pick it up and Stan saying "I don't have one" the soldier look over his shoulder and raise his hand.

Lifting his one finger and informing another soldier "please wait here for a moment"

A soldier comes and give Stan a mask, he wears it and they guide them to the back of the line of the vehicles, together with the other healthy people.

Stan and Aphrodite eavesdrop on a martian and an earthling conversation "now we have to wear these masks because some idiots got a bit sick" "relax it's only for a day or two, I prefer this than getting sick" "I just want to go home" "yeah we can finally travel to your home and build a nice shop" the martian smirked.

They then hear Jorogumo announce "we are starting" The vehicle's engine start echoing and the vehicles start going down slowly from the small mountain and the smooth terrain, the people follow from the back, Stan looking at Mason sleeping.

Suddenly Jorogumo comes near Stan and Aphrodite, saying "Stan, Aphrodite how are you?" they both answer with "we are fine" they speak no other words and continue from the smooth terrain down to the jungle and its mud in a clear path with the trees far enough for the vehicles to pass, the soldiers start looking the surrounding with great care as the other people do, however Stan left looking at Mason, hearing his fading breath and clutching his hands.

Aphrodite holds his palm and they continue, Stan then asks Jorogumo "how is Aramis?" she reply with the same cold face "she is dead" Stan's face stays the same, only sensing some shivers in his spine " she suicide, is that right?" "Sadly yes, even if I tried to speak her through her sanity was already leaving her" 

"It's sad to hear that" "that's what the war does to the people" "does it mean it also changed you?" "Im the same from the day im remembering me, nothing drastic had changed" Aphrodite watch them talk and Stan says " you are really strong" "I don't believe you describe me with the  right word" "then what is the right one" "a woman who has seen many things in her laugh, even if she even has closed half of her remaining years, a witness" Stan look without saying a word and 

The green colors of the sky start showing and Jorogumo announce " we will stay here for the night" nobody disagrees and they start sitting down on the trees, all close to each other, the soldiers guarding the place, and two persons checking on the ill.

Stan sit with Aphrodite, both trying to stay awake, 

Pinching each other from time to time but suddenly their eyes close.

With the first ray of sun, the soldiers wake everyone up and gives them bread and some pork, the people eat it and go again back to their vehicles and start walking, as they start seeing the peak of the mountain from the shaking canopies a sound like a distant whisper starts, the soldiers lift their guns and the people start blending in the middle of the crowd, Stan and Aphrodite start looking around, the whisper start coming closer and closer from all directions, a sound of like bumbling woods start to be heard from the shadows of the forest, Jorogumo lifts her weapon and goes in front of the woods and waits.

The first figure appears, a small one with its eyes glowing in the shadows, Jorogumo targets it and the figure comes out running with its two legs and black fur, its ears almost its height and runs past Jorogumo without her shooting it, more come like a swarm and pass through, the soldiers stay calm and wait until they leave, as their whispers fade to the forest they all turn their heads on their way, Jorogumo then shouts "hide and get ready for combat" the soldiers lift their weapons again and  Jorogumo backs down from the woods.

Another animal then appears, almost at their height, its four yellow eyes looking in different directions, showing its  bone claws on them and hitting its claws together, producing a sound like metals colliding to each other, Jorogumo quickly shoots it on its head and kills it "we have to move, fast" the people quicken their steps and Jorogumo went to the vehicles, getting a weapon and passing him to Stan "are you willing to help me?" Stan nods his head and takes the gun, he leaves Aphrodite and Jorogumo dismantles a piece in the weapons and shouts for three soldiers to come and they go inside the forest.

She explains " we have to create as much noise as we can so the creatures will come at us when they do run and I will kill them" a soldier reply " but Jorogumo we don't know how many they are" "by its confidence they  probably are  enough to kill a whole group of us, or even all of us" another soldier says with a  high pitched voice "what is the plan then?" "Run with me from far away for the creatures to not notice you, when I kill most of them ambush them and we will clear them  "  Jorogumo start shooting to the air.

The soldier and Stan do the same and in the shooting, they hear the sound of metals colliding "now scattered, be sure they will not see you" the soldier drag Stan and run.

The creatures come at their fours, trying to get close but Jorogumo starts shooting them in their eyes, one by one, without delay and with precision.

As the creatures get closer she starts running and continues to kill them, firing with her one arm while not looking at them, she maneuvers between the trees, with the creatures slicing them, Jorogumo start hearing their steady and grim breathe close to her, as she reloads the gun she turns for a glimpse to see them, a dozen of them in the right left and five in the center, the gaps between the trees start getting thinner and the woods broader, Jorogumo pass between with effort, and the gap between the creatures and her shorten, she continue shooting them and killing more of them.

Suddenly they see they have surrounded her, more creatures coming in front of her, she reloads the gun again and starts shooting them, they circle her and attack with her nails, she jumps and evade their nails,  and continues to shoot, killing almost half of them, the creatures back down and she continue to shoot them until they get out of her sight, she then lower her gun but she hears their clashing of their fingers again,she turns around and wait, suddenly a creature comes silent from behind her, she slice her legs but she shoots it. More come attacking her, she push herself back and just before it sticks its teeth to her body Stan shoots it from behind, 

He notice her prosthetic legs, clear metal with the wire nerves of the prosthetic coming out of it.

The soldier's come, placing their hands on their knees and breathing heavy, saying with a delay in their words "Jorogumo, we are apologizing, we almost let you get eaten" "do not think about it" "but sir" I told you, even if that happened you should show no remorse or weakness"  the soldier look from his helmet at her eyes "you are right sir" they suddenly hear one of the creatures leaving while holding her legs, Stan and the soldier's fire but didn't hit it, Stan says "shouldn't we get your legs back?" " I have more legs, and thankfully they can't do anything with them" "what exactly did you expect to do with them?" " One time I observed them, hunting a small group and when they finally have their prey they can smell it and find more of them from the smell of blood and skin" " then we were really lucky" " Caeli, Stan, can you carry me?" They nod their head and Stan takes the left side and caeli a slim figure takes the right.

They almost reach the vehicles and Jorogumo says "stop, eremis can you bring me a new pair of legs and sainele?" "Of course" she run to the vehicles and takes the legs, covered in black sheets and sainele accompanies her "first time after a long time that I see you with broken legs" Sainele gets down to work and repairs her legs while complaints are heard from the crowd, after some hour sainele repaired Jorogumos legs completely and says "I hope I don't have to repair another leg or arm" as they go back they draw the attention of the crowd.

The vehicles and the soldiers continue like nothing happened.