The Search p.5

Sophies pov

It was the last day of school before the weekend started. Fridays seemed to be a happy day for students and teachers because of this, but Sophie wasn't happy about it at all.

After her and Oralies fight, the had both gone to bed and when she woke up, Oralie was gone. All that was left of her was a note on the table saying she was on another trip and would be back in three days.

The morning was lonely up until Sophie went on the bus, where Keefe sat with her. 

Keefe was nice. He doodled in all his notebooks during class, he was easy to talk to, and he didn't seem to mind that she liked learning a little too much like the other kids did.

Every conversation had been comfortable with him up until today, as the were walking to first period together.

"So Foster, I was wondering, would your parents be okay if I came over sometime?" The question came out of nowhere. Sophie hadn't prepared for this. She never expected for anyone to bring up her home life.

"Oh...well, my mom's a really private person, so she doesn't really like people coming over," Sophie said, hoping he would drop the subject and move on. 

He didn't.

"What about your dad? How does he feel about that?" Keefe asked, completely oblivious to her feelings on the topic, which was strange because Keefe always seemed to know what she was feeling somehow.

"It's just me and my mom. My dad left us when I was born."

He was finally quiet after that, but only for a moment.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know," Keefe turned to me as we stood in front of our first period door. 

"It's okay, I don't talk about it much," I say, not able to give him eye contact as I walk in first, him following me.

We both sat in out seat at the back of the room. We still had ten more minutes until class started.

"Well, how about you come over to my house? My parent would love to meet you, and so would my friends."

"I'm not allowed to go over to other peoples house either. Sorry, Keefe."

I'm not sure how to tell him I'm in complete isolation other than school without it sounding like I'm in an unsafe situation at home. I'm totally fine at home, it's just hard to convince Keefe of that when I can't give him any proof of it.

"Foster...are you okay at home? It's okay, you can tell me." 

Worried eyes, scrunched eyebrows, tilted head. Keefe was thinking I was in trouble. Number one rule, don't draw any attention to yourself, especially not to the house or Oralie.

"Oh no! Everything's fine, I just can't go over to peoples houses that my mom hasn't met. I have plenty of friends I can still hang out with." I give myself a mental pat on the back for the back for the save.

"Like who? Anyone who goes here?" Keefe asked suspiciously.

"None of them go here so you wouldn't know them. Theres Will, and Cassy, and Clover, and-uh Sadie. They're all very nice," I smile with my lies, digging myself a deeper hole. 

"Right... and where-" The bell cut Keefe off before he could finish and I let out what I hoped was a subtle sigh of relief.

That was too close. 

Keefe's pov

Today was the day. The day he was supposed to take Sophie. 

The original plan had been for him to invite her to his house and then take her there, but he should have known that Oralie wouldn't let her go anywhere other than the school and her own house.

Now, he had to go with his mothers plan, which he really, really didn't like.

By the time it was his and Sophies last class, he couldn't stop his leg from bouncing.

Sophie seemed mildly worried about him but, like she always did, payed full attention to the teacher as he spoke in his monotone voice.

Keefe reminded himself for what seemed like, and most likely was, the hundredth time that day that this was for Sophies safety. She wasn't safe here, she didn't belong here, it would be better if she was in the lost cities.

He thought of all the kids that made fun of her, her mom who kept her hidden from the rest of the world, who called her dangerous and disregarded her needs as a child.

When the class was over and it was time for him and Sophie to walk to their bus, he felt more confident in his decision.

On their way to the bus, Keefe made small talk with Sophie about her interests. 

It was usually him who asked her the questions and led the conversation as Sophie was very obviously not used to talking to people her age, or anyone, for that matter.

That would change soon. Eventually, she would warm up to people. She wouldn't have to be so scared to meet new friends.

These thoughts made Keefe feel much better than he did before and even gave him the courage to smile at Sophie and wave to her like he wasn't about to take her away from her home.

Keefe once again shook away these thoughts as he hurried to the bush where Gethen and Alvar were hiding. the same bush he was hiding when he followed Sophie home that day. 

He ducked under them just in time to see Sophie get of the bus and wave at the bus driver.

It was time.

posted- 8/16/22

ughhhhh I wish I could turn all of these into books but I already have two that I'm not even close to finishing yet. but also, if one of these gets to over ten chapters I feel like I might as well make it into a book...? anyway, hope you guys liked this chapter, sorry I haven't updated on this one in a hot minute (its literally one of my favorites to write) but I can't wait to write the next chapter! bye luvs <333