The Court

The next day, court is in session. Spot and Racetrack had to help Ally to even stand up because of the brutal treatment she was given over the night. She had cuts all over her face, and a huge headache from being knocked in the head with the club. Causing her to not be able to stand up on her own. When Spot and Racetrack couldn't hold her up, she was clutching the french of the pen she and the other newsies were in.

"Are any of you boys represented by council?" the judge asks.

When no one speaks up, he continues.

"No? Good, that will move things along considerably."

"Hey, yer honor, I object!" Spot yells.

"On what grounds?" the judge questions.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, yer honor." Spot jokes, causing the newsies, including Ally, to chuckle, though she was in a considerable amount of pain while she did so. She most definitely would've collapsed if Spot and Racetrack didn't have hold on her.

The judge bangs on his desk.

"I fine each of you five dollars, or two weeks confinement in the House of Refuge." the judge continues.

The newsies are shocked.

"Whoa. We ain't got five bucks. We don't even got five cents." Ally pipes up quietly.

"Hey, yer honor, how 'bout I roll you for it. Double or nothing?" Racetrack pretends to light a cigar. The newsies laugh.

"Alright. Move along, move along." the judge says, impatiently.

Just then, David, Les, and Denton enter. David immediately took notice of Ally, who didn't seem to be doing so well.

"Your honor, I'll pay the fines. All of them." Denton states to the judge.

David runs over to the fenced in area.

Spot and Racetrack bring her over to the fence and let her lean against it.

"Ally! You alright?" Davey asks, taking her face in his hands and allowing himself to look into her eyes. They were unfocused. She could hear alright though. She gave a small "mhm", signifying to Davey that she heard him.

"Hey, you fellas alright? Where's Jack?" Davey asks the rest of the newsies.

"Look, we've got to meet at the restaurant tomorrow. Everybody. We have to talk." Denton says to the newsies, looking at Ally worriedly.

"Pay the clerk. Move it along." the judge says to Denton.

Jack is then brought in in handcuffs. The newsies find out that Jack lied to them about his real name, and that his parents weren't out in Santa Fe waiting for him. Jack was also given the sentence to spend four years in the refuge.

The newsies yell about the verdict. But Ally is more concerned about the fact that Jack, no, Francis, lied to his friends. She murmured one thing which only Davey heard.

"How could he do this to us?"

That one sentence broke Davey's heart.