2. The accident

Clara stared blankly and expressionless at the slammed door for a few seconds until she had registered what had just happened.

He'd left. Walked out the door.

A tiny tear rolled down her soft, unmoving cheek, and then that was it. Emotion took over. She flung herself back onto the sofa and cried. She cried and didn't stop.

After a few minutes of unleashing her upset and unhappiness, she got up to go the kitchen. She needed time to think, and she needed a well deserved cup of tea. Swinging the kitchen door open, she walked in and spotted it.

A souffle.

Not just any souffle. Her mums perfect souffle. Next to it was a small note.

'Clara xx

Hope you enjoy the souffle xx It took a few attempts, as you can see by the amount of blackened failures in the bin xx

I haven't put dinner on, I thought we could go out for dinner as my treat to that fancy, expensive restaurant in town, seeing as you've worked so hard xx

I love you so, so much xx I do not regret becoming human for you, nor will I ever. It was the greatest descision I've ever made xxxxxxx

Love, The Doctor xx'

She gasped.

He did love her.

She ran to the living room as fast as she could to fetch her mobile phone, all whilst having a huge smile on her face. She tapped out his number and held it to her ear, waiting for his cheery voice. Except he didn't answer...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cold, harsh air hit his face like a speeding freight train. What did he expect, though? It was the middle of January.

He started walking in the direction of the old, abandoned park, picking up his pace bit by bit. She didn't even get the chance to see the souffle that he'd worked so hard on and suffered sore, burnt fingers on, nor did she get to see the note. He didn't want to correct her, though. She hated him enough.

His eyes started to sting, and he felt tears brimming in his big, sad eyes.

He would not cry.

At least not in the public view.

He loved that human girl, Clara Oswald, so much. Much more than he would ever know. Hell, he'd even traded his superior time-lord biology for her, placing it all in a tiny silver clock with Gallifreyan engravings. At least this time he could keep his memories of his origin, unlike in 1913 with Martha when the Family of Blood were after him...

He was out of the park by the time his thought ended, when he walked past a small jewellery shop. Inside the clear windows was the most beautiful ring he'd ever seen on Earth, a golden, circular band laced with silver entwinements and a shining diamond edged with ruby encrusted in the very centre. It was magnificent. And that was it. He'd made up his mind. He was going to propose to Clara Oswald, the beautiful human girl.

Walking up to the nearest ATM, he pointed his sonic screwdriver (which he had decided to keep for obvious reasons) at the cashpoint and took plenty of money out, making his way over to the entrance of the jewellers.

He walked outside soon after, popping the velvet box with the ring inside into his inner coat pocket. He started walking home, whistling a Gallifreyan tune as he strode.

He was just a left turn away from his street when it happened.

He heard the ringtone of his phone and then the screeching of car tyres.

And then, the Doctor's world went black.

(A/N- DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)