Flush

"Why am I suddenly her bodyguard?" Husk argued to the duo.

"Given your impressive skills and dealing with our recent guest, I thought you'd be the perfect fit," Alastor explained. "Who better than (Y/N)'s closest confidant and lover to take on this role?"

"We're not friends, and we definitely weren't lovers. It was just a one-time thing!"

"(Y/N) is another demon undergoing rehabilitation, like Angel, and she's under my protection," Charlie added, reaching out to grasp Husk's hand firmly. "Please, Husk? As the Princess of Hell and heir to the throne... can you watch over her and ensure her safety?"

Husk savored a long sip of the exquisite wine, its richness washing over his palate as he maintained his focus on the high-stakes game before him. Dressed uncomfortably in a gaudy suit, he endured the discomfort in order to blend into the upscale establishment he had no desire to be in.

His adept sleight-of-hand skills had carried him through hours of intense gambling at one of the city's premier casinos, all while (Y/N) perched atop the stage with a menacing gambler by her side.

Two days had passed since the completion of the paperwork, and in that time, (Y/N) had immersed herself in this new venture, balancing her performance with the responsibilities of being under Husk's watchful eye as instructed by Alastor and Charlie. Though he couldn't bring himself to refuse their orders, the weight of their expectations hung heavy upon him.

Even if Charlie hadn't invoked her title, Husk knew he would have complied regardless. The unspoken understanding between them left little room for defiance, and as Alastor's silent gaze bore into him, he resigned himself to his dual role as both protector and reluctant participant in this elaborate charade.

Husk's reluctance to leave (Y/N) alone stemmed not only from his sense of duty but also from a deep-seated aversion to the idea of her navigating the cutthroat world of the casino without his protection. He knew all too well the audacity of those who saw her as nothing more than a pawn to be manipulated.

His gaze shifted to the VIP section, where Reginol held court. Reginol was infamous for his twisted sense of entertainment, known to spice up the already intense atmosphere of the casino floor with his cruel games. While his tactics had earned his casino the title of second-best in the city, they also branded him as a figure of fear and loathing among those who knew the truth behind the glittering facade.

Husk's lip curled in disdain as he observed Reginol's presence, a stark reminder of the moral ambiguity that pervaded their world. In Reginol's domain, morality was a luxury few could afford, and the line between right and wrong blurred beyond recognition.

"You're cheating," I muttered under my breath, my eyes narrowing as I studied the cards of my competition after she effortlessly claimed victory with a score of 20-0.

She giggled, a mischievous glint dancing in her eyes as she adjusted her dress with practiced grace. "What are you talking about? I won fair and square. See?" She gestured to her cards with a flourish, as if they were indisputable proof of her innocence.

My breath caught in my throat as the masked host approached, his presence ominous as he placed a heavy hand on my shoulder. "Uh oh, looks like our champion has triumphed once again! Let's hear it for her!" The applause that followed was tepid at best, the guests more preoccupied with their own games than with the drama unfolding before them.