Chapter 3

November 6th 1983

Isabelle is awakened by the sound of her parents arguing in their room. She tries putting her pillow over her head, but it's no use. She can't drown them out, can't fall back asleep. She pulls the pillow from her face, laying on her back and staring at the ceiling. She has two options. She can lay here; listening and let it ruin her mood, or she can get up and leave.

She chooses to leave, but first she's got things to do to get ready for the day. First she turns on her vinyl player, looking through her records. She chooses Crimes of Passion by Pat Benatar, turning it up until hearing her parents isn't an option. She locks her door, then goes into her closet to pick out her clothes for the day. She grabs a pair of tights, a corduroy skirt with tie belt, and an oversized sweater.

She goes and showers, letting the hot water wash over her. She enjoys the shower until there's no longer any hot water. She gets out, blows dry her curls, and after dressing and brushing her teeth, applies her chapstick and pops a piece of bazooka into her mouth. She throws anything she might need for the day into her backpack, pulls on socks and boots, and then throws on her jacket. She shuts off her record player and exits her room, shutting her door quietly so as not to alert anyone of her leaving. She tiptoes down the stairs, quickly makes her way through the kitchen. She drinks a glass of orange juice and grabs a peach to eat. She is out the door before anyone knows the difference.

—-----

Isabelle knocks on the door, knowing she's a little early but figured what would hurt if she showed up first. It only takes a minute for the door to open and Mike to be standing in front of her.

"Hey! You're like, an hour early. Everything ok?"

"Parents were home and fighting. Just didn't feel like listening to it, I hope that's alright," she says, walking past him and into the house. He nods his head, following her in. She greets the family, kneeling down to talk to Holly for a moment, and then they continue to the usual hang out spot. They've just entered the kitchen, when Mike grabs her backpack handle, stopping her from going down the stairs. He gestures for her to follow him, and they change direction and head for his room first.

"I tried to tell you about this last night, but your brother said you were already asleep," he says, entering his room and going to his dresser. He picks up what is clearly an album, and hands it to Isabelle. "I thought you would like this."

She looks at what's in her hands. An original copy of Patsy Cline's 'Walkin after Midnight'. She can't help but stare at it for a minute. She absolutely loves it. She looks up at Mike, whose cheeks are slightly red and he's looking anywhere but at her. She sets the record down beside her and stands up. She wraps her arms around Mike's waist, who takes a second, but reciprocates the action, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. "Thank you Mike." His face turns about 3 shades redder as the two pull away from each other. Neither knows what to say, so they just stand there for a minute. The awkwardness is broken as Mike clears his throat.

"Wanna go downstairs?"

She nods her head, grabbing the record, and following him out of the room. As both enter the basement, she drops onto the couch and takes her bag off her back. She places the record inside, and pulls out her book. Mike sits beside her and grabs the book.

"What's this one about?" She grabs the book back, not trusting his dirty boy hands, clutching it to her chest. She turns to him, and he can see the excitement on her face. He may not enjoy reading, but listening to her talk about books is a different matter. She makes them sound as exciting as their campaigns.