Princess & Knight

"Commander Oisín there is a woman here to see you."

    "Does she have an appointment?" The Commander didn't even look up from the paperwork his pen scratched over.

    "No, but she's insisting and claims she won't speak with anyone but you."

    He sighed and set down his pen. "Send her in."

    Grudgingly he turned off the jazz music playing from the radio and leaned back in his chair. Being promoted to Commander of the Knights of Saint Patrick at so young an age was an honor. Truly he'd wanted the job. Of course paperwork verifying authenticity of artifacts, overseeing allocation of personnel, and budget approval meetings weren't as exciting as globetrotting in search of historical treasures, but what he did was the heart of the organization. That fact wouldn't take away the boredom. When it got too much to bear there was always the training and exercise rooms of the lower floors but even still an ever growing stack of paperwork would await him.

    "Commander Oisín MacCumhail my name is Niamh; you have something that belongs to me." A woman with dark red hair and piercing blue eyes stormed into the office. She carried herself with a noble air and wore a flowing dress more suited to a beauty pageant or a ballroom than everyday routine.

    "Miss Niamh there are proper channels one can go through if you feel my organization has removed something from your land without authorization. If your case can be proven in a court of law whatever item or items you are entitled to will be given back." He reached into a drawer but before he could withdraw the files there was a whistle in the air and a knife landed on his desk. It stuck into his freshly completed paperwork and wobbled back and forth gently.

    "There's no time for this. Lead me to your vaults."

    Oisín bit his tongue in anger and stood up. His fists dug into the wood of his desk and he itched to draw his gun and escort the rude vixen to the police station. However that story would quickly be circulated around town and he didn't need bad publicity on top of his already stress filled life.

    Instead he pressed a button on his phone. "Derek get security in here, please."

    "Right away." Two women in blue uniforms with gold shamrocks on their shoulders denoting their rank entered the room.

    Niamh drew a baton from her boot and the Knights slowed their approach.

    "Back off." she hissed.

    "Ma'am there's no need-Ahhh." A vine erupted from the marble floor and tangled the two women.

    "Finally." Niamh shouted triumphantly. With a wild grin she turned to a stunned Oisín. The two women were alive but completely immobile and silent as the vines clamped their mouths shut. "As I was saying Commander, if you would please lead me to your vaults I have something to find. Also a proposal I'm sure you'd love to hear."

    "Release my Knights and I'll do as you ask."

    "Fine but make them swear to stay put and not alert trouble."

    He nodded and with a wave of her hand the women were released from the bonds. The vines shriveled back into the floor but the hole they made still remained. Grabbing a set of keys, Oisín swiftly led the woman out of his office and down to the catacombs; where they stored all relics until arrangements could be made for them to be transferred to museums in their country of origin.

    "What I need was found by your group in 1698. If my research is correct it never left your vaults."

    Oisín unlocked the door with a key and then a seven digit number code followed by a retinal scan. "It'll take some time to find it–"