Chapter Six: Rebel Heart

Salestia's heart pounded a surprisingly steady rhythm in her chest as she counted the daggers pointed at her. A tense silence had overtaken the room, and despite the faint chatter drifting up from the street below the window, the world outside seemed very far away.

Ellias appeared calm, but that was no surprise. In fact, a thin smile touched his lips as he spoke. "I think some introductions may be in order."

"Agreed." One of the rebels stepped forward and pulled down their hood, revealing a young woman with light skin, loose curls of blonde hair, and hazel eyes. "We can start with your names."

"Ellias."

"Salestia." Eyes narrowing, Salestia added, "Who are you?"

"Maddilen Dorrison. Roven Dorrison's cousin," the rebel replied. "But don't get it twisted, I hate the man."

"You lead the rebels?" Salestia asked.

"More or less." Maddilen's gaze darted to Ellias. "And I'd like to know why a witch is pursuing rumors of Dawnbringer."

"Confronting every person who comes asking about Dawnbringer sounds like a bad idea," Ellias said, lifting an eyebrow. "Unless you want everyone to figure out where the Aelrish rebels are hiding."

"We don't confront everyone," Maddilen replied. "Just the interesting ones."

Merik piped up from the corner. "I know a witch when I see one. And I'm supposed to call 'em whenever I see a young woman who could be Aelrish, anyway." His eyes moved to Salestia. A lot of eyes moved to Salestia.

"Speaking of witches, that's a witch sigil on that coin." Ellias nodded toward Merik, who still held a coin in the hand at his side. "A calling sigil. I assume one of you has its match? It should glow when the other one is touched."

"We could spend all day asking each other questions," Maddilen said. "But I don't have time for that, and I doubt you do, either." She glanced at Merik. "Tell them what you know."

"I did see Dawnbringer fall into fae hands," Merik said. "Eight years ago. I didn't realize the new hunter who joined my group was an Aelrish refugee until he pulled the sword out. The sword—well, it's like the thing had a mind of its own. And it didn't seem to like the guy. He was killed, and the fae ran off with the sword."

"And he'd been with you?" Salestia asked Maddilen. "One of the rebels?"

Maddilen nodded. "The sword was all we had. We were told that Avilenna Halliark was brought to the moon, as well. But for her safety, only one person knew her exact location." She sighed, her expression darkening. "We were supposed to keep Dawnbringer safe for her. I should have been more careful with it, but I thought I could trust my circle."

Ellias folded his arms. His rings glinted in the light. "And I assume you've been trying to get it back?"

"Of course," Maddilen answered sharply. "But I'm sure you know how difficult a task that will be."

"I do. I think you'll need to accept outside help if you want that sword."

"I'm willing to accept that." Maddilen's gaze darted from him to Salestia and then back to him. "But I need to know why you're pursuing Dawnbringer. You do realize not just anyone can wield it, right? You don't need to be lightspeaker royalty, but you do need a strong will."

"I have someone in mind," Ellias said. "And I need the sword to...undo a mistake I've made."

"Be more specific."

"It's a private matter."

Maddilen didn't hide her agitation. "We have you surrounded and outnumbered."