Chapter 23: Aurelia

"Why don't we dance again?"

The question rolled off Aurelia's lips without a second thought. She needed to think of a distraction, of something to cheer Kassius up. Galderon's news had certainly put a damper on Kassius's mood, coating his face in a sullen expression. Aurelia was determined to salvage what was left of their fun night.

It took him a few moments to react, to shake himself from whatever he was going through and respond to her comment. His answer came in the form a shaky, "Sure."

Unsteadily, he stood and took the hand she offered him. They made their way into the crowd, into the swarm of swirling colors and jovial music. All of it was a stark contrast to the war that still seemed to be raging within Kassius's mind. Though he stood in the crowd, he still seemed distant. He still seemed upset.

Aurelia squeezed his hand and smiled up at him. "Are you alright?"

But he never gave a response. He never so much as squeezed her hand back. His attention was somewhere else. His eyes had sought out something, or perhaps someone, in the crowd. Someone who was making their way through the crowd and toward Kassius.

He was shorter than Kassius, and stockier too, with grayed skin, similar to Fallon's. His hair was a pale blond though, almost snow white. Nestled within his clipped, blond hair were a set of pointed horns. And his eyes were silvery, nearly identical to his skin, just shinier.

Then there was the scowl on his face, targeted at Kassius, whom he reached and stopped in front of. Kassius immediately went rigid.

"Can I help you, Nix?" he asked in a low, anxious voice, all the while this Nix stared daggers into Kassius's skull.

"You weren't much help to me before," Nix sneered, "so I would be wrong to ask again." He looked Kassius up and down, then over to Aurelia. "Don't trust this fool," he spat. "He breaks promises."

"Nix, I said I was sorry. Deeply sorry," Kassius replied. The rigidity in his figure turned to a desperate remorse. "I don't know what else to do to ease the tension between us."

Nix laughed spitefully, bitterly. "There's nothing you can do, Kassius. I'm never going to forgive you for what you did."

"Then why are you here? You avoid me for years, and now you arrive, merely to verbally spar? That doesn't seem like you."

But Nix shook his head, and suddenly, a wild, scheming smile came over his face. "You're right. That's not what I'm here to do." He paused, savoring the secret plan he held for a few more moments. "The only way for us to be even is for you to die. And when's the opportunity for that? The coronation." Nix's grin grew wider. "I have no interest in being king. But I'll do it if it means that I'll get to avenge her."

Kassius interjected, his brows furrowing in confusion. "You don't mean to—"

Nix cut him off, "I do. Kassius Kolthorne: I challenge you for the throne. I will fight you, defeat you, and then claim your seat as my own."

Aurelia shook her head. She had remained a bystander, watching this unfold, as she knew nothing of the history between the two men. But in hearing this, she couldn't stay quiet.

"You can't do that," she hissed. "It's his throne. It's his right by blood. He's been preparing to lead his entire life. You're a fool to think you can change that."

Nix gave a low laugh. "She's the halfling I've been hearing about then, isn't she?" he remarked, still chuckling at what he perceived to be Aurelia's stupidity. "Girl, you obviously know nothing about our culture and the way things are run. So keep your mouth out of our conversation."