1 | Reginald Hargreeves Can't Come to the Phone Right Now. Why? 'Cuz He's Dead

┌────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┐

Reginald Hargreeves Can't 

Come to the Phone Right 

Now  Why? 'Cuz He's Dead

└────── ⋆. · · .⋆ ──────┘

⋆ ──────┘

BEEP.

BEEP.

BEEP.

The smoke detector began to wail. Rhea's head snapped up from the papers she was correcting at the kitchen table. "Shit, shit, shit," she began to mutter as she ran to the oven, nearly tripping over that damn cat. She had forgotten to set a timer for the frozen pizza she had put in the oven. Hopefully, it was salvageable this time.

Rhea put on an oven mitt and opened the oven. More smoke billowed out into the already smoky room. Rhea fanned the air in front of her face to see as she pulled the pizza pan out and set it on the stovetop. She turned the fan above the stove on high and flung the two windows in the kitchen open, despite the fact that Midwest evenings in March were still pretty dang cool. Then, she grabbed a broom and went to turn the smoke detector off as the volume on the TV went up noticeably. Let It Go was practically on full blast.

When the damn beeping was gone, Rhea walked back to investigate the pizza. There was no denying that it was black and crispy. She attempted to brush the black charred bits away, but beneath the black charred bits was more black charred bits.

"Fuck," Rhea swore quietly, raking her fingers through her hair. That pizza was the last frozen pizza in the freezer and it was pizza night. "Fuck, fuck, fuck."

Rhea rubbed her face in frustration. Pizza night was one of the few consistent things in life and she wanted to keep it that way. But payday wasn't until tomorrow. Being an adult sucked. When she was younger, she could imagine nothing better than being an adult; but now that she was an adult, she could imagine nothing better than being a child. At least she kept a rainy day fund she could dip into when necessary.

She grabbed the coffee can from the cupboard above the refrigerator and opened it. There were quite a few dollar bills stashed in there. While she hated to do it, she grabbed three five-dollar bills. Rhea didn't want to risk burning another pizza, so she was going to run to the Little Caesars down the street. Thankfully a five-dollar pizza, a crazy bread combo, and a two-liter bottle of soda wouldn't break the bank.

After grabbing her purse, Rhea walked into the living room where a young girl sat on the couch watching Frozen for the millionth time. "Hey, baby girl," Rhea said, smiling at the girl.

"Did you burn the pizza again, Mom?" the girl asked with wide eyes that seemed to pierce right through her.

Damn. That panged at her heart. Rhea frowned. "Sorry, baby."