01| BACK TO COUSINS

01| BACK TO COUSINS

[ Chapter One ]

❝I don't want to do this right now, Conrad, please.❞

[Summer House]

>> >> >>

"I really don't get why I have to go this year? Can't I just stay with Dad and then join you for the Fourth or something?"

Samantha was lying on her parents' bed as she watched her mom finish her packing before they had to head to the summer house in Cousins Beach.

"We always go and it's important you're there, Sam." Her mother, Anna, looked at her daughter, "Besides if you didn't go, then your brother wouldn't want to go either and I am not going to try and explain away you and your brother's absence."

"Luke would go no matter what." Samantha protested, which was true. Luke, Conrad, Jeremiah and Steven had been the inseparable four while Belly and Samantha had been two peas in a pod since they had been old enough to speak. The boys usually excluded the girls in everything they did. That is until last year when Samantha and Conrad had gotten together. That summer she had hung around the boys a lot more than she ever had. But now, she expected to be excluded again, shoved to the sidelines like she had been for so many years before.

"You're coming, end of story." Anna said and then sat down next to her daughter, "I don't know what really happened between you and Conrad but you know that I am here for you. No matter what."

Samantha nodded. Even though it had been almost an entire year since she and Conrad had broken up, she still hadn't told her mom all of the details because frankly, she barely knew what happened. She doubted she ever will.

"I know Mom." Samantha said and slid off the bed, "Since I guess I have to come, I should go finish packing."

>> >> >>

An hour later, Samantha was all packed up and sitting in the backseat of the car, on the way to Cousins Beach. It was a fairly long drive so Samantha and Luke had made a roadtrip playlist as well as brought several things to do so they wouldn't be bored.

Samantha and Luke sang along at the top of their lungs for some of the drive, until Julia told them that she would be turning it off if they didn't quiet down.

"Both of you are going to help out this summer." Anna said, looking at her two kids in the rearview mirror.

Luke looked back at Samantha and Samantha shrugged, "Mom, we always help."