35. Fearless

It's hours later, I'm not sure what kind of impression I left with the Court Royals, but the White Knight and Quill assure me that I did just "swimmingly." Whatever the heck that means, c'uz for the most part, I felt like I was drowning under questions I didn't know how to answer.

Now though they are taking me to the Alice's Tower, this is the largest tower in the castle, it is the big one in the middle of the other Royal towers. The others are for the families of Royals and -though this whole Palace is the Alice's- this is her very own retreat. The Tower is really huge and has many different staircases, doors, and parlors, but I can hardly retain where or what anything is.

We hop on a wide staircase that is made from like, silver or white gold. It's super cold to the touch as I run my hand over the railing which looks like it has been braided. A huge chandelier lights up the middle of the tower in a beam of soft light and there are several alcoves in the walls with gleaming golden backs that house glowing white candles.

There is this massive, beveled pattern on the pearl walls, it is of an impossibly huge golden Jabberwocky that completely encompasses the entire wall of the whole Tower. It keeps winding up and up. And now, up here at the very top of the flight, is the Jabberwocky's head, nestled between its golden fangs-like pillars is a massive white door. The golden doorknob is of a very realistic looking face. Her eyes and mouth are closed. Two huge gold curtains that slimmer with glitter have been pulled away from the door in the Jabberwocky's mouth in a fancy billowing balloon way.

"This is...so intensely beautiful," I breathe as I look around.

The doorknob opens her eyes and smiles. I startle. "Is this the new Alice, White Knight Sire?"

Cornelius nods, looking me over proudly. "Indeed, she is. This is Adara."

"Adara! Such a beautiful name!" She cocks her head and the huge door swings open. "In you go, love, and welcome back home!"

I widen my eyes at yet another flight of stairs inside. They are frosted glass with golden etchings scratched into them, I can't believe that I walk on them. I glance over my shoulder at Cornelius and Quill. "Are you two coming up with me?"

The White Knight shakes his head. "I don't think so. You need to rest, we'll see you later for supper."

Quill nods. "And there is an enchantment on this door so that no one but you and us can come in, you'll be nice and safe in here, no worries."

"Indeed." The White Knight agrees. "And all of the Hidden Chambers have been sealed so there is only one way into your chamber; through this door. Rest easy, My Alice."

"Adara," Quill smiles and bows, Cornelius bows too.

I smile at them both in amazement. "Thanks, guys. And errr, I'll see you later for dinner or whatever," I nervously brush my hair back. "I won't embarrass you this time," I promise with a smile. They shake their heads good-naturedly and wait until I seal the door behind me, and now I'm completely alone as I climb the stairs. 

It is like I am in this narrow marble tube, there is no extra space around the stairs, that's how close the walls are but even still, the walls are decked out with swirling, radiant gemstones. I finally manage to get to the top and am now standing on a little landing facing a closed door. I grab onto the handle and press down on the button and gently push the door in...

I widen my eyes as I step into my chambers. It is huge! Like bigger than my entire house and garage! There are no walls in this place, just all open space filled with beautiful, especially whimsical furniture. There is a huge archway on the far wall and I realize that that must be my "window."

We people from Indiana have a very different idea of what windows are than the people of Raetri, clearly. The archway takes up most of the whole huge wall and goes all the way up to the ceiling, so basically, it's like I don't even have that wall. The arch looks like it was pipped from an icing bag and beyond it is a balcony, all marble and grand. In the middle of the vaulted ceiling is a huge chandelier, it glitters with gold droplets and casts dazzling patterns on the floor and walls. In the center of the room is a massive white round rug that is made from like, chenille and velvet. This is really super soft, and I wouldn't mind if that was the only thing for me to sleep on but I see a huge parking lot sized four poster bed in a corner of the massive room, angled to face the open wall. Behind the bed on the wall is a giant mirror cut to look like a Jabberwocky's silhouette. 

Whoa.

Really the room is breathtaking, and adorning the walls are huge paintings of strangely beautiful animals and scenery of Raetri...everything is impossibly perfect.

I wander out onto my balcony and gasp at the view that's before me. I really am in the tallest tower; all the others are far below me and even farther down is the ground. 

I'm still trying to overcome my fear of heights, so I grip the marble banister tightly and take a deep breath of salty air. The ocean around the island looks pretty far away, but way up here, I can see nearly everything. My eyes find a bluff, it looks like a pointed peak of a cliff on the edge of the island, the waves must really be high and wild because even from up here, I can see the spray of water leap up over the peak.

I slowly back away in amazement with tears springing to my eyes, I've never been too a place so magical before. It's like I'm on the edge of the world. No wait. I am in a new world. Whoa. This is all...surreal. 

Like, I have finally made it. I am here at the Court at long last and I am going to train, train to complete the Eighteen Labors.

One journey for me is over now, officially.

So now, officially, a new one begins.

It's wild to think that this enchanting journey has led me to here, in a world of my own.

THE JOUNERY CONTINUES...