An Explanation

Jennifer's POV:

When April wakes up, I make sure that I'm the first thing she sees. Unfortunately, Mikey had to be the first thing she hears.

Mikey: "Hi."

April turns to him and starts screaming, causing the guys to join in.

Me: "April, stop!"

April: "Jennifer Alison O'Neil, what is going on here?"

Splinter: "If you will please just sit down and calm yourself, your sister and I will explain everything."

April: "It talks."

Splinter: "It is really quite simple, Miss O'Neil."

April: "And it knows my name. Perfect. Why don't I ever dream of Harrison Ford?"

Splinter: "For 15 years now, we have lived here. Before that time, I was a pet of my master Yoshi, mimicking his movements from my cage and learning the secret art of ninja. When we were forced to come to New York, I found myself for the first time without a home, wandering the sewers, scavaging for whatever I could find. And then, one day, I came upon a shattered glass jar and four baby turtles."

Mikey: "That was us."

Splinter: "The little ones were crawling into a strange glowing ooze from a broken canister nearby. I gathered them up in an old coffee can and when I awoke the next morning, I received a shock. For they had doubled in size. I too was growing and particularly in intellect. I was amazed by how intelligent they seemed, but nothing could have prepared me for what happened next: one of them spoke. More words followed, and I began their training. Teaching them all that I had learned from my master. And soon, I gave them all names: Leonardo."

Leo straightens his posture at the mention of his name.

Splinter: "Michelangelo."

Mikey: *points to himself* "That's me."

Splinter: "Donatello."

Donnie hums a heroic theme as he sits up straight.

Splinter: "And Raphael."

April: "I'm not dreaming, am I?"

Splinter: "No, I'm afraid not."

April: "Jen, how do you know these guys?"

Me: "Well, um, funny story. Remember the kids I met at the comic book store six years ago? And the friends I visit every day after school? Well, these guys are them."

April: "Six years, and you never told me you knew five mutant creatures living in the sewers?!"

Me: "I had to gain their trust. You being a news reporter had them scared that you would tell everyone in town, and their home wouldn't be safe. I was protecting the ones I care about, just as you and Dad taught me."

April: "Ok, so this is why you're-"

Me: "Interested in ninja stuff? Yeah, pretty much."

April: "And do you know how to-"

Me: "My training only started a year ago, but I'm pretty good with a naginata."