Party

~Evan~

The rest of week passed insignificantly. I spent the days trying to to avoid people and the nights rewatching my favourite films. Neither Tom nor my mum had bothered me too much either so overall I decided that this year was off to a good start. That was until Friday night.

"So you know how mums gone away for the weekend?" Tom said, peeping his head through my door.

"I didn't know that but okay."

"Yeah anyways" Tom opened my door wide, "I'm throwing a party and thought I'd give you a heads up."

"Okay."

"That's it? Just okay? You're not going to tell me how irresponsible that is or threaten to tell mum if I don't pay you or something like that?"

I shrugged. "I really couldn't care less, this is your house as much as mine just give me a heads up before so I can get everything I need to hibernate in my room for the night."

"Okay well you have an hour till everyone else arrives and the boys are already here."

Great, so no warning.

I rolled my eyes at the use of the term 'the boys', I had no idea how me and my twin brother had turned out so different because I would never use the term 'the boys'. It made me as repulsed as 'if it ain't raining it ain't training' did.

Deciding that it would be better to go get drinks and snacks for the night earlier rather than later I followed Tom down the stairs and into the kitchen where alcohol bottles already littered every surface. It didn't seem fair, I had done everything right my whole life but because I was gay, because of something I couldn't even control, my mum hated me. Yet Tom could do whatever he wanted but because he still went to church on Sundays he was an angel. I'm sure this place wouldn't be clean when she came back but she wouldn't give a shit.

"Feel free to open anything." Tom called as he turned and headed into the sitting room, most likely to play video games with 'the boys'.

I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave and went to get myself a glass of squash however I thought better of it at the last moment, if I had to put up with loud music all night long then I might as well drink to knock myself out. So, I grabbed three pre-made cans of G&T and a Malibu, just enough to make me sleepy.

"Getting ready for the party?" A voice behind me spoke.

"Something like that." I mumbled in return not bothering to turn around. The voice sounded familiar and was most likely one of Tom's mates making conversation just because they felt awkward being in the kitchen alone with me.

"I'll try and get your brother to keep the music down." The voice said again, this time sounding more earnest to start a conversation.

So I turned to look at the speaker and realised why the voice sounded so familiar, it was Nate. His posh accent really should've been instantly recognisable to me after hearing it constantly for the last few years. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten who Nate was, it was Nate. Tom's best friend, stupidly rich and annoyingly attractive Nate Hansen.

"Thanks."

Nate nodded with a small smile before moving away so I could reach and get my popcorn out of the microwave.

"I uh..." Nate began.

I turned to look at him, a little puzzled on what else he could have to say to me unless he was about to ask for homework help.

"Nothing never mind." Nate looked away.

"Okay." I grabbed my drinks and popcorn balancing them precariously in my arms, "have a nice night."