Chapter 3 - Under My Umbrella

Amity's POV:

  I guess the next step of my nonexistent plan is following this strange human girl through what she calls "streets". One thing's for sure - I am not in the Boiling Isles anymore. Everyone we pass by looks exactly the same, yet somehow so different. 

  But I guess I spoke too soon, because a furry little hamster-thing with a weirdly long tail scampers right in front of my feet. Every bone in my body screams at me to run away, but my feet stay planted. I guess the girl notices my reaction because she lets out a giggle, and my body kind of softens. "Don't worry," she smiles sincerely, "It's just a squirrel."

  She squats down and tilts her head to the side. "Hey little buddy. Whatcha doin' out of your home?" The so-called squirrel chirps and runs back to the tree, spiraling around the trunk until it reaches the skinny branches. 

  What a relief. Thank Titan I didn't actually start screaming my head off. I mean, I really don't feel like making a fool out of myself in front of...

"So, what's your name? I don't think you ever told me."

"The name's Luz! Well, Luz Noceda's my full name!" She beams at me.

I'm a little put off by her energy. It's so bright, almost like the sun. Beautiful, but also blinding. 

"Nice to meet you, Luz. I'm Amity Blight, the newest recruit of the Emperors Coven."

I pause, the day's events slowly replaying in my head. "Or, I guess, ex-recruit now."

"Whoa. Sounds official," she says, her curious eyes staring into me with such persistence I feel my cheeks heating up.

"It doesn't matter anymore. I can't ever go back. Besides," I say, a smile growing on my face, "I have other things to worry about right now." I carefully remove Ghost from the inside of my cloak.

The look on her face is so priceless right now. She claps her hands to her mouth and I swear her eyes have started welling up with tears. It's really kind of adorable.

"KITTY!" she squeals in pure delight, "Aaaand, scoop!"

She adjusts Ghost in her arms, cradling her head like a baby. I can't help but laugh. I will say, after a day of life-changing truths and multiple narrow brushes with death, it feels nice. Really nice.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ 

I never really stop laughing as we continue to walk; Luz is pretty funny. Okay, fine, she's really funny. Oh, but it's definitely not her jokes, no, those are super corny. But when she cackles at her own jokes, it's impossible not to join her. Every few steps I sneak a quick glance at Ghost who is, of course, sound asleep in Luz's arms. 

The rain eventually stops, leaving a grayish mist in the air. There's this musky smell in the air now, but I think it's pretty nice. I keep sniffing the air as we walk; it smells oddly soothing.

"Whatcha doing, Am?"

"Oh, just- wait, what did you call me?"

"Ohhhhh! Just thought it was a cute nick-name!" Luz says with a wide smile. "So whatcha smellin'?" She says with a goofy face.

I crinkle my nose at her. "It just smells really nice ever since the rain stopped" I say, reaching over to rub Ghost's head.

"You mean the petrichor?"

"The what?" I ask.

"It's the smell after it rains," she says as if that's the most obvious thing in the universe.

I nod, feeling a little embarrassed. Things here really are different.

"Soooooo...What's with the outfit? Does it have to do with that coven thingy you were talking about earlier?" Luz asks as she examines my cloak, looking me up and down. I know it's no big deal or anything, but the fact that she remembered makes me smile despite myself.

"Oh-! It's just the uniform, I won't be needing it anymore though." I say with a nervous chuckle.

"Okay then," she says, shrugging her shoulders, "Well, if you're lost, you could just crash at my house? I'm sure my mom will be cool with it."

The thought of staying in some semi-stranger's house doesn't seem too appealing, but it's definitely not the weirdest thing to happen to me tonight.

"That's really nice of you, Luz," I say, trying to smile, "I think I'll take you up on that."