chapter fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ 14 ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

( never let me down again by depeche mode ) KAIA WASN'T SURE when she got wrangled in to witch duties

KAIA WASN'T SURE when she got wrangled in to witch duties. Maybe it was from the second Darcy told her. It would be impossible to ignore, and for Kaia, it was impossible to not be involved.

Dead leaves crunched under their feet as Kaia and Gwen slowly paced the forest, flashlights in hand. There was always something unsettling about these woods, but now even more so, given that the threat of real demon activity was very much possible.

"Why are you walking so fast?" Gwen whisper-yells, as she keeps falling behind Kaia's tracks. She swats at a moth.

Kaia trudged on, letting out a short sigh. "I'm not."

Gwen swallows, watching as the girl ahead of her stopped and waiting for her to catch up. She hugged her puffer coat around her, crossing her arms but keeping her light facing out. "What are we even looking for?" She asks.

Kaia looks at her with narrowed eyebrows. "Why are you asking me? I'm just here so you don't get your leg caught in a bear trap." She snorted slightly.

Gwen's eyes widened. "There's bear traps out here?!"

Kaia shrugged. "Probably, now that everyone thinks that's what killed Tobias Palmer."

Gwen clenched her jaw and rolls her eyes. "I don't get why we can't just tell people the truth. Everyone knows that there were witches here before, right?"

Kaia doesn't respond, she keeps walking through the dark trees.

Gwen was right. Everyone knew, it was just a matter of whether they really wanted to admit it or not. With history this morbid, you'd be stupid to think otherwise.

Gwen bites the inside of her cheek before starting to walk after her. "So you live around here?" She asks.

Kaia nods. "Mhm. Like a mile north."

"Like on a farm?" Gwen asks.

There was something about Gwen that Kaia didn't like. Maybe it was the fact that all of her questions felt backhanded. They came from very different walks of life, which made it difficult for Kaia to truly feel comfortable around the girl. Especially knowing who her family is.

Kaia nods again. "Yes, on a farm."

"Do you take care of the animals?"

"Yes."

"Do you like it?"

"Not really."

"Why don't you hire someone else to do it for you?"

It was that. That desire to pay out someone else the second things weren't presented on a silver platter. Kaia wondered if the girl had ever really worked a day in her life. Or, if she ever would. She already had a pretty solid career laid out in front of her, despite the fact that she's had little to know challenges to get to where she is. It's all parentage.