Chapter 2: Blame

Sasha was having a hard time after returning home from Amphibia. Though she would barely call it a home.

Her mom seemed so pissed when she walked in. she was on the couch one second, cussing her out the next, then storming off to her room, slamming the door behind her.

Sasha had just sighed and exited the apartment she once called home.

No matter how much Sasha grew, how much she changed, she'd always be seen as a disappointment to that woman.

Always.

------

Her dad was different.

------

As Sasha quietly closes the door behind her, her armor clanks as she moves. Causing her to flinch when the silence was disrupted.

The man on the couch quickly got up to face her, standing like the business man he once was.

He didn't recognize her.

Of course he didn't.

He rarely saw her.

Sasha and him stood there, watching each other warily before Mr. Waybright spoke up. "Sasha..?"

Sasha shrugged, with a "yup," there wasn't much she could answer to a question like that.

Normally she'd be pissed, angry he had to ask, 'who else would it be?' would be her normal response. Normally she would have stormed up to her room the only acknowledgment her father would get was a glare that could kill.

But this wasn't normal.

Marcy had moved. Sasha's best friend had died.

Anne had died.

"It's... good to see you again," there it was again, him trying, hard as he might, to start a normal conversation, like if things were normal. Like if things could be normal.

Normal.

Like if that ever existed.

Sasha's too tired to scoff, to argue. She just sighs, "Good to see you too." she starts to make her way to her room before her father grabs her arm.

She slowly turns to face him, he runs a finger along her scar. The one she got for fighting her best friend.

The one Anne gave her.

She flinches.

"What happened?" he asks, his voice filled with worry. Worry that you could never have found in his voice before his daughter went missing. Normally his voice would have been as bland as hers.

"A lot." Her voice was empty, tired.

He watches her go, surprised that she didn't snap at him.

After she's gone he fidgets.

His daughter changed.

She wasn't the same, how was he supposed to take that?

------

School was the worst.

Everyone expected Sasha to stay the same. They never expected her to be nice. She was supposed to be Sasha Waybright, Queen of Saint James Middle School.