Jolly Josh

It was an exciting day on the Island of Sodor. A new Narrow Gauge engine was coming to work in the Hills for the Thin Controller. 

The engine was a Single Fairlie locomotive with shiny blue paint with green stripes and a golden dome. He looked very happy to be coming to the Skarloey Railway. 

He was being brought to the Transfer Yards by Molly. 

"You look very excited," said Molly. 

"I am!" beamed the engine. 

Soon, Molly watched the engine being unloaded onto Narrow Gauge rails. She wished him luck and puffed sweetly away. 

The engine looked all around him. Just then, Skarloey puffed in with the Thin Controller. Victor was there too. 

"Are you Josh?" asked the Thin Controller. 

"Yes, sir, and I'm jolly excited to be here!" whistled Josh. 

"I'm glad to hear that," smiled the Thin Controller, "because you have a busy day. First, Skarloey will show you around the railway. And then I need you to take my wife to the station by the lake so she can help out at the teashop. And finally, I need you to take some campers up the mountains." 

Josh was very excited indeed. 

Skarloey led him around the railway. He showed him the engines and the sights. 

Sir Handel showed him his special wheels and Madge and Elizabeth politely introduced themselves to him. 

The final sight Skarloey showed Josh was the Blue Mountain Quarry. 

(Duncan and Luke can be seen working there.) 

"Tomorrow, I will show you the route to the Mid-Sodor Railway, but for now, you need to go and collect Mrs Percival," said Skarloey. 

"Right away, Skarloey," tooted Josh and he steamed eagerly away. 

Skarloey chuckled. 

"Josh is a very jolly engine," he said to himself. 

Jolly Josh puffed up to the Percival residence to collect Mrs Percival. She was happy to be given a ride by the newest engine on her husband's railway. 

And the Refreshment Lady was equally as happy to see such a splendid new engine bringing her helper and friend over in perfect time. 

Josh was feeling very pleased with himself and was enjoying being on the Thin Controller's Railway. 

But clouds were beginning to gather and rain was soon falling. 

Josh arrived to collect his coaches to take the campers up to the mountain campsite. Mighty Mac was there too. 

"I'm ready to take some passengers," beamed Josh. 

"Not today you won't," said Mighty grimly. 

"What? Why?" pouted Josh. 

"Because the weather is too dangerous to go puffing up the mountains," explained Mac. 

Just then, Smudger came in with some passengers from the Mid-Sodor Railway. 

"The rain is bringing a storm," he warned, "there must be no more trains to my railway or up into the mountains." 

Josh didn't feel like Jolly Josh anymore. He wanted to show he could be Really Useful and take the disappointed campers into the mountains after all. 

And so, he steamed away. 

"Wait!" called Mighty. 

"It's not safe!" cried Mac. 

But Josh didn't listen. He was too determined to help the campers. 

Coming out of the junction, Josh charged in the direction of the mountains. He was beginning to feel nervous but he still wanted to help his passengers. 

"I'll do it, I'll do it," he panted as he battled the rain. 

The wind began to pick up too but Josh continued running up the Hills. 

Josh knew which way to go, thanks to Skarloey, but he didn't think about how the heavy rain could cause a landslide. 

And it did! 

The heavy rain pushed the muddy earth down the hill and onto Josh's track. 

Josh's brakes were applied but he was too late. 

He bashed into the soft mud and was stuck inside the avalanche. 

"Oh no," he moaned, "this is a disaster!" 

As the storm broke, Mighty Mac agreed and went to find out if Josh was okay. They charged up the hills. They made sure to travel slowly in case of an unexpected collision should Josh be stuck on the line. 

And finally, Mighty Mac found Josh. 

"Thank you," muffled Josh. 

Mighty Mac were strong and easily managed to pull Josh out of his predicament. But now Josh knew that he could not get the campers up to the campsite. He and Mighty Mac sadly went back to the junction to let off the passengers and then Mighty Mac helped bring Josh back to the Transfer Yards. He was scared that his failure to do as told and get his job done properly would get him sent away, or worse, scrapped!

The Thin Controller arrived. But far from looking angry, he looked worried. 

"Are you alright, Josh?" he asked. 

Josh was surprised that the Thin Controller was worried about him. 

"Y-yes, sir?" 

"I've heard all about your first day. I think it was foolish of you to take on that storm, but the passengers you had taken had nothing but praise for you. They appreciated how much you cared about them and wanted them to have their camping trip despite everything! And that makes you a Really Useful Engine after all!" 

Josh smiled. He felt very proud that the passengers were grateful to him despite failing to finish his job properly. 

Mighty Mac were pleased too. 

And after that, they became good friends with Jolly Josh, and so did all the other Narrow Gauge Engines. 

(Duncan and Bertrum can be seen whistling cheerfully to him.) 

After the rains were over, Josh finished a mountain route at last, and he now also helps Smudger run his Mid-Sodor Railway duties. 

Jolly Josh was Really Useful and Really Happy to be a part of the Skarloey Railway. 

(The End!)