prologue

The first time Jeno met Donghyuck. They shouldn't have met. They shouldn't have crossed paths at all. Jeno is a science student while Donghyuck studies literature and their departments are so far from each other that the chance of them ever bumping into each other was zero. None. Nihil.

But Jeno was going to the art department to meet up with his brother, Jaemin because they have accidentally swapped their phone again this morning (This always happen when Jeno stayed over at his mom's house where Jaemin lives) when he heard a shout as he was about to ascend the stairs going up to Jaemin's class.

"JAEMIN! YOU FUCKING BASTARD!," A ringing voice boomed across the hall and it made him turn around at the name of his brother being called out.

When he tried to see who called Jaemin, he didn't see the punch coming straight at his nose and he staggered in his steps, holding his nose, not knowing whether the liquid he felt running down his chin was blood or tears. Though the punch didn't hurt, his eyes still watered a lot and his vision was too blurry he can't see anything, even more, that his glasses had flown off his face.

The next thing he knew, he was pushed to the ground and a body was straddling his chest. Another punch to his jaw and a guttural sound came out from his throat. The hit didn't stop there, his attacker was hitting his chest now and screaming something about how it should've been him and he doesn't deserve that main part. Jeno mustered the little strength he had left in him and took hold of his attacker's fists, sat up and twisted his arms so the little guy sitting up on him wailed in pain.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM?" Jeno yelled at him, grabbing his thumb and twisting it until a crack could be heard and the guy on top of him cried even louder in pain.

"JAEMIN, YOU FUCKING BROKE MY THUMB!" Tears are coming out of his eyes, "I'M GONNA KILL YOU," He cries, hysterically and managed to get one of his arms out of Jeno's grip (The good arm with the un-broken thumb) and scratch at Jeno's face but Jeno was quick to react, he leaned back before he gets his eyes clawed out. Still, the guy dug his nails at his cheeks, scratching down his jaw and neck and fuck that hurts so fucking bad Jeno actually shrieked.

"I'm not fucking Jaemin, you bitch!" Jeno said, gravelly.

"DONGHYUCK!"

It was Jaemin. The real, actual Jaemin. The two boys on the floor turned to the source of the voice to see Jaemin gaping at them in horror, his eyes wide. Jaemin was too stunned to even move and so were Jeno and this guy whose name was apparently Donghyuck.

Now that Jeno and Donghyuck weren't trying to rip each other's head off, Jeno realized they got quite a crowd surrounding them, some of them were holding up their cellphone obviously recording their fight, it'd be no surprise that he'd be a hot topic at the end of the day. Him and this guy who's still sitting on his lap. Jeno pushed him off his lap and looked down at his school uniform; blood.

Donghyuck was gawking, turning his head to look at Jeno and then Jaemin, looking like he couldn't believe his eyes. Jeno didn't know what the fuck was this guy's problem. When he tried to observe his face, with his limited eyesight (he couldn't find his glasses), he doesn't look like someone he's met before so why the fuck did he attack Jeno?

"What the fuck? There are two of you?" Donghyuck said, his voice high-pitched.

A moment passed where Jeno and Jaemin looked at each other.

Jaemin didn't look as shocked as earlier instead, he looked at Jeno with a guilty look and Jeno looked away, letting out a defeated sigh. Another moment of Jeno being mistaken as Jaemin, only this time it was way worse than the time Jaemin's girlfriend came up to Jeno and kissed him on the mouth (Jaemin and that girl had been dating for two days and Jaemin didn't tell her he has a twin brother).

"Dear lord, what is going on here?" Jeno looked up to see this principal looking down at him and his bloodied uniform and then at Donghyuck. When he gave Jaemin a look, Jaemin just smiled sheepishly, shaking his head and backing away as if to say he's not involved in any of this shit.

Jeno's gonna break his thumb next.

                                                                                                     𓏲 ࣪₊♡𓂃

"What were you guys thinking? Fighting on school grounds at 7 in the morning? On a Monday of all days!"

The principal and the school's secretary were with them in the infirmary. They had been too injured to not be given immediate medical attention and were brought to the infirmary where the nurses had to do first aid on them while waiting for ambulances to arrive. Jeno held a tissue up his nose while a nurse was attending to the cut along his jaw. Donghyuck's nails had cut his jaw so deep that Jeno needed stitches and Donghyuck (who was sitting on the bed in front of his) actually had his thumb broken; it was bent at a weird angle that looked painful. Guess the adrenaline wore off after a while because Donghyuck kept sniffing and whimpering in pain. Jeno could feel the area around his cut throbbing but he took comfort in that pain.

"And Jeno," The principal's voice was booming and Jeno actually startled at that, "Aren't you a science student? What were you doing in the art department? Did you really go there just to fight?"

Jeno had to defend himself after hearing his principal's accusatory tone, "He started it! He literally punched me out of nowhere!" Jeno pointed at Donghyuck and hissed in pain when the movement of his mouth makes the cut on his jaw sting, "I was at the art department to meet Jaemin, my brother." He said in a softer voice.

The principal looked at Donghyuck but he looked down on his lap, too afraid to meet her gaze which made it obvious that he was guilty.

"Is it true, Donghyuck?"

Minutes of heavy silence passed.

"Donghyuck," The principal pressed.

"I thought he was Jaemin, " Donghyuck mumbled low, so low that they almost couldn't hear what he was saying. He looked like he wanted to say more but decided against it.

"And, let's say, if he was really Jaemin, what makes you think it's okay to assault someone unprovoked?"

At that, Donghyuck hung his head lower.

"I taught you guys better than this," She was about to say something more but the sirens of the ambulance made her stop, "Both of you into the ambulance now." She ordered, walking ahead of them out the door

Jeno and Donghyuck both stood up and followed her to the ambulance. When Jeno looked at Donghyuck, he was already looking at Jeno with a look that says he was sorry but Jeno was too angry at him still, so he glared at Donghyuck and quickened his step, leaving Donghyuck behind.