𝟬𝟭𝟳 who is the monster?

SEVENTEEN WHO IS THE MONSTER?

💀

       ANITA STOOD IN FRONT OF LUCAS' HOUSE, staring up at the door while fidgeting nervously with her hands. She knew she'd messed up earlier, when the Party was in the woods to look for the gate to the Upside Down. Well, actually, that was an understatement — she'd royally fucked up. (Yeah, that described it better.) They all had, to be honest. El had manipulated the compasses so they wouldn't be able to locate the gate, and then the whole situation just fucking escalated.

       When they arrived at the junkyard, Lucas had absolutely lost it, because El wasn't helping them find Will, she was hindering them from it. And he let his frustrations about El he had bottled up over the last couple of days bubble to the surface, which had led to a fight with Mike, both of them getting violent after Lucas had said, "We're looking for some stupid monster... but did you ever stop to think that maybe she's the monster?"

       And then El had flung Lucas across the junkyard with her superpowers to protect Mike. Lucas had hit his head and was unconscious for a minute or something. (Anita had been scared shitless — but she would never admit that out loud.) Then Lucas had stormed away, angry with all of them. At that moment, all Anita could do was watch him leave. Now she wished she would've stopped him from leaving like that. She should've told him that she understood him, because, yeah, El was sabotaging their mission. But that didn't mean she was the monster they were looking for. That was the Midnight Man. The Midnight Man — or, the Demogorgon — had kidnapped Will and India. Not El.

       El was not the monster in this story. El was just a scared girl who had escaped from a terrible place, Hawkins Lab, and Anita's dad had been the one to help her run away. And the lab had killed him for it.

       Anita swallowed. She had to fix this with Lucas. He was her best friend, she didn't want him to be angry with her.

       So, pushing the nervousness away — you're not a coward, Anita, you can apologize to your best friend without shitting your pants — she walked up to the door of the Sinclairs' house. She knocked. And after a moment, Mrs. Sinclair opened the door. She looked down at Anita with a surprised expression on her face. "Anita. What are you doing here, it's almost dark out." Anita had to stop herself from rolling her eyes at her concern. She knew more about the things that go bump in the night than Mrs. Sinclair did, and she was not scared!