55

Dad stared at me with an ashamed expression on his face. I couldn't even recognize him anymore.

He'd let me down.

Just like he'd let down my sister all those years ago, blocking her happiness by not giving her his blessing in her marriage.

I was just a normal girl.

A university student.

Living a normal damn life...

And I was being caught in the cross-fire of something that had nothing to do with me.

Paying the price for my father's mistakes.

This wasn't the way life was supposed to go.

"Your father has a long-term debt with us that he hasn't paid off," Marcello shrugged. "Millions and millions of Great British Pounds. Before he had a fragrance company, he worked under us. Collecting debts, teaching motherfucker's who was boss. Teaching people not to cross us. Killing anybody who got in the way of business." Marcello trailed off his sentence. "But then one day, he got too big for his boots. Started stealing from our shipments, selling to our rivals. Feeding other cartels with information against us, so that they could intercept our packages and delivery schedules. Your father believed that he was being careful, convinced himself that we wouldn't find out. And then he had the audacity to deny everything to our face."