chapter six

We stayed up all night, talked about nothing and everything at the same time. You almost wouldn't assume their lives were being threatened at all. But I know the threat is serious. It's what killed my mama. It's what almost killed me.

A knock sounds at my door, "Ro? Can I come in?"

I smile, the familiar nickname reminds me of New York. I love France, more than anything. It's my home. It was my home. New York is home now.

"Yeah, come in." I reply, sitting up in my bed. This feels familiar. More like home. But it isn't, not anymore. No matter how much I miss it.

Nick cracks open my door, almost reluctantly. "Hey."

"Hi." I mumble. "Tell me about Beth."

A grin immediately comes to his face. "I took your advice, asked her out when we landed."

"She said yes? I told you!" I slap his shoulder when he sits down on my bed.

"She said no." He laughs, "She wants to take things slow. She said she values me too much as a friend to lose me if we weren't actually compatible, I agree."

I frown, "I guess that's responsible of you. Very adult-like."

Nick shakes his head, "No, Aurora, it's the formation of a relationship. Something you have no experience with."

I roll my eyes at him, "Yeah, yeah, come on, Rosalie probably made something delicious for breakfast."

"Who's Rosalie?" He furrows his brows.

"Our personal chef." I say, forgetting that something like that isn't ordinary for most people.

"Of course you have a personal chef." He scoffs.

+++

"Mon cheri!" My father greets as I lead Nick into the dining hall. "I'm glad you've decided to join us for breakfast. I won't be able to sit and chat for long, I've got a meeting with security in - roughly thirty minutes."

I take a seat at the table. "Security? May I join?"

Papa shakes his head, "Unfortunatly, you may not."

"How come, Papa?" I furrow my brows.

"I'm afraid we have a mole, mon cheri, you know those meetings aren't pleasant." He sighs, giving me a disappointed look. "With the threats to your life, I'm not looking to handle this gently."

"But Papa," I plead, giving him my best puppy dog look.

"That is enough." He lowers his voice, "I know you never wanted this life, but I'm afraid a burden comes once you are born into it. I want you to be happy. And that won't be accomplished if you're getting those manicured hands dirty with blood again."

I sink back into my chair, "Yeah." I mumble.

"Besides, you should be back to New York in no time. The Big Orange. Isn't that what they call it? Wouldn't want you getting back into old habits, hm?" He grins.

Nick snorts from beside me as I correct my Papa. "The Big Apple."

"Oh, I knew it was some sort of fruit." He checks his watch, "I'd better get going, I don't want to keep my men waiting too long."
He stands from the table, smiling at Nick and I. "Oh, and there was a trespasser last night. We're trying to get to the bottom of that, so stay on the lookout, yes?" He adds.