Liberation

Marcy's POV

I see an orangey-red neon sign in front of my eyes—because, to state an interesting fact, the orangey-red tubes are the only ones actually filled with neon... anyway. It's not real, but it may as well be. The four glaring words are clear as daylight.

Marcy Park: College Dropout.

Why should I, a sixteen-year-old, be working my ass off in college just because I graduated early? I actually attempted to fail ninth grade to level out the difference between me and my peers, which led to a very, very unpleasant conversation between my mom and my school's principal. I didn't pull that shit again—summer school is rough.

Anyway, having been 'free,' as I so daringly proclaimed, for about four years, I was fully convinced going to college was my choice and not the pressure of my family, since Jesus didn't care (I know this, trust me) and I could academically advance if I wanted—well, if it meant moving out to start my own life.

What I mean is, even if my parents hadn't laid the hard expectation upon me of seeking higher education, it was always bound to be the first step toward dropping out and ditching it all.

And now here I am—less than a month into my first few classes, and I quit.

Marcy Park: College Dropout.

The red sign flashes.

I ignore it.

I have bags, I have a bus ticket, I have no idea where I'm going. But look at that. Finally starting a new life, just like I wanted.

I don't hate my parents. I understand the values we held like many of the Catholic Korean-American families I knew. But having nearly cracked under the pressure, I could slide impassively through high school, doing well enough to pass but maybe not quite well enough to impress, then leave college without a word, and still honour and respect my parents. Right??

Anyway, what a situation. A teen girl with a high school diploma (hoping that gets me somewhere, anywhere) traveling to Putnam Valley. I guess I don't live anywhere right now. That's a bit scary.

There's a stop outside this laundromat, and I figure, why don't I get out there? I'll eventually need to wash my clothes. Although I can't go anywhere for privacy, so I'm not sure where I'd find the opportunity to put on anything else. But look, I'm sixteen. What better place to stay than a 24-hour sheltered building with benches where you can even wash your clothes if you have the change?

Wow. It's kind of sad that I can't actually think of an answer.

So, that's where I am. I guess back in high school when I'd let myself change, I shouldn't have expected my family to change, too. But I'm on my own now. I can change my entire life however I want. I'm not the prodigy, not the genius, not the golden child. I'm the college dropout.

That's... liberating, isn't it?

Logainne's POV

Putnam Valley High School's GSA is nearly in action! I am winning. I can't wait till Dads hear about this. I mean, I'm not president yet, but once we get enough members, there will be an election. We're a democracy here. Anyway, I'd be the advisor if I could, but we need an adult. And we've got one—Ms. Woods, my English teacher.

I'm telling Leaf all about it at lunch one day. We're sitting in the cafeteria today, since it's raining outside. (He begged for us to sit out in the rain, but I refused.)

"Do you think you'll join?" I ask him excitedly.

"I dunno... is there, like, an initiation? I might fail the test." He wrings his hands.

"No, Leaf!" I'm standing up a bit in my booth. "All you have to do is support the LGBTQ+ community and want a safe space for queer youth."

"Oh! I want one of those!"

"So join! We've got no one yet, and Ms. Woods says we need members to actually have meetings! So... do we have a deal?" I hold out my hand.

He side-fives me excitedly, a wide grin on his face.

"I wanted a handshake," I tell him quietly. "You know what, it's fine. I see Chip! Hey, Chip! Come over here!"

Chip hurries over, balancing plates and cans in his arms. I'm assuming he's bringing lunch for whoever he's eating with, or he's just really hungry and thirsty. "What's up?"

"Will you join the GSA? Ooh, and recruit others? If you know anyone who's, y'know... an ally."

"Sure thing!" He tries to give me a thumbs up, but his plates fall, and of course his slice of pizza falls off of one and lands face-down. Leaf and I both cringe. "Aw, shit," Chip mutters, looking down sadly. "My pizza."

My hands go to my ears when I hear the curse, while Leaf gets down on the floor to help Chip put his pizza back together.

"I don't want the cheese," Chip is saying disgustedly when I take my hands away. My eyes go to the sauce-covered clump that Leaf is trying to shove back on.

Leaf perks up. "Can I have it?"

"Okay..." He gathers the plates and exits down the hall. I wonder where he's going, who he's eating with, and how many of them are coming to our first GSA meeting.

"Score," Leaf whispers to himself as he sits back in the booth, holding Chip's discarded cheese between his fingers.

"Leaf, that's just... gross." I give it a disapproving glance. "That fell on the floor, where thousands of dirty shoes walk all day, every day." I can't help gagging.

"It doesn't taste like dirty shoes!" he assures me with his mouth full.

"Excuse me," I reply, getting up. "I have to leave. I don't like this. I really don't like this. Goodbye. Ew."

"Where're you going?!" I hear Leaf call. "It's just cheese!"