Who Am I?

You are rushing around your home, making sure everything is in order as you prepare for traveling to visit your cousin near the moors. All the fires are out, the beds are made, everything is clean and put away, letters have been sent out notifying people of your absence, and the servants have left, taking the opportunity to visit family as well. Books, journal, pens, regular and formal attire, undergarments, stockings, extra boots in case the ones I have to get soaked, an umbrella, toiletry bag, and some space to bring back souvenirs... You are nervously going through this mental checklist when there is a knock on the door. You open the door to an early fall morning, the sun is shining bright in a clear sky, and the air is beginning to have a nostalgic crisp feeling to it that you miss so dearly during the hot months of the year. At first, it seems no one is there, but then you notice the child standing on the stoop before you holding a note. He tells you he has a message from a dear family friend of yours, and that it was important that you received the message before you left. Without any more words, the child sprints off, pressumably to his next task. You leave the door open as you looked for any sign of your carriage arriving and open the letter.

"My dear sweet summer child,

I hope everything has been well prepared for

your trip to the moors. I wish you the best of luck

on your travels! We look forward to your tales

when you return. There are a few things I beg you to

remember on your adventure:

Stick to the trails, no wandering off into the woods now!

If you see a ring of mushrooms along your path, step around it

Treat anyone you don't know with caution, no matter how

handsome, or benevolent they might seem.

And remember that names have power, and under no circumstances

should you ever give yours to a stranger, for they may just be a fae..."

A look of puzzlement spreads across your face as you read the last line, pondering over the strangeness of someone so intelligent ending their note with such superstitious nonsense. Folding the letter up to tuck it into your pocket, you finally hear the sound of hooves approaching. The carriage has finally arrived, and you go back inside to get your things and put them out for the coachman to grab while you lock up the house. A strange feeling passes over you as the door clicks shut, a sense of finality as if it was going to be the last time you were going to see this place. You shrug off the feeling and climb into the carriage.

After arriving at your kinfolk's residence, you're greeted by your cousin and his family with smiles and warm embraces. Their house is large with simple elegance, with a gorgeous garden at the back of the grounds. There is such a welcoming atmosphere that after just a few days you are feeling very much at home. You are lounging in the drawing room on the sofa whilst reading a novel when your cousin walks in to suggest that the two of you get some fresh air before tea. You readily agree as you have yet to go outside and explore the land yet. The scene outside is beautiful, the air of the country invigorates you as the two of you go between family gossip and silence as you tramp through the heather and rocks. After walking a for while, you look over to the large forest you kept finding your eyes being drawn to whenever you sat by the window of the room you had been settled in. You notice a trail leading into the forest and ask how far into the forest it went. Your companion tells you that the forest is too overrun and filled with dreadful insects, and the trail was unmaintained. A plethora of excuses and a quiet nudge to keep moving past while telling and telling you to NEVER go in there, and you are back on your way to the property. As you walk back to their home, you can't help but look back to the tree line, and for a moment, it almost seems as if a shadow of a man is standing amongst the timber.