What are we?

It's been 3 days since you last saw him. No matter where you look, he is nowhere to be found. You keep waiting, hoping he will just appear like he used to. You wonder if he can still feel you from where he is hiding and if he can sense the immense loneliness that his absence has caused. You know he's still there only because you always leave a plate for him whenever you cook, and when you go back to the kitchen to make the next meal, they are cleared and placed in the sink. You've spent the last few days doing whatever the notes that just seem to magically appear tell you to, usually just a few menial chores. Though today the note tells you to take a break. It goes on to say that you should go to the library, pick out a book and sit outside for a while to enjoy the weather. You had avoided looking at the books before because you didn't know if you were allowed to read them. The fact that he was letting you go outside after what happened shocks you, but you're also very excited at this new freedom. You hurriedly make your way to the study and run up the stairs. Unable to pick just one, you grab an armful of tomes and make your way to the kitchen. You find a small wicker basket to fill with tea sandwiches, an apple, and some tarts, and leave some for The Fae as well. You take a couple of the bottles of ginger beer in the cellar to bring along with you. Taking a sheet you found in the linen closet, you place your books in the middle and tie them off, the bundle in one hand, and the basket in the other, you go up the stairs towards the entrance. You start to worry if this is a test. What if by going outside you fail it, Would he release you then? You pause, knowing the thought of being free, of being able to return to your family that must be worried sick over your disappearance, should make you happy but it doesn't. You have grown used to the feeling of the ghostly manacles on your body, you even find comfort in them. You take their presence as a sign he still wants you there. The idea that one day you could wake up without feeling the invisible steel against your skin fills you with dread. Hoping you are not making the wrong decision that could bring that fear into reality, you open the hatch and step outside.

There is a light pleasantly cool breeze flowing through the trees, whose leaves are starting to change color with the season. The sky is bright blue with only a few wispy clouds floating in it. You close your eyes and deeply inhale in the smell of the air, intoxicated by the feeling of being on the surface again. You decide to lay down the sheet under the hawthorn tree and take in the view from there before you pick out a book to settle down with. You had found a few handmade volumes based on folklore, supposedly written by an actual fae. You decided to explore them in hopes to learn more about your master and his people. Nibbling on the sandwiches and tarts while you go through them, quite enjoying your solitary picnic. Although you can't help but think of how you would relish it even more had someone else decided to join you. After some hours the basket is nearly empty, aside from the last bottle of ginger beer. The sun is getting low, making it harder to see. Sighing, you pack your things and make your way back inside to find The Fae leaning against the door leading to the hallway. His shoulder is against the molding with his arms crossed, a perturbed expression on his face. The desire to rush over and wrap your arms around him is strong, but you're not sure how he would react to that, so you resist the urge. You wait for him to realize you have returned, but he is so lost in thought he doesn't notice your presence.  Dropping your basket onto the table manages to startle him out of his introspection. As his eyes focus on you, his countenance changes from surprise to an almost smile, and then finally settles on a grim scowl.

"We need to have a talk."

He beckons you to follow him down the hall. You do so with leaden feet, imagining every bad outcome this discussion could have, trying to prepare yourself for the worst. Arriving at the study, You expect him to start going up to the library, instead, he walks over to the small bookshelf on the left side of the study and pushes it. There is a click and the secret door creaks as he gently swings it open, revealing a secret stairway. You follow his descent and eventually find yourself in a large, warmly lit room. It's somehow both clean and disorderly, with long shelves stuffed with an eclectic collection of books, bottles, jars plants, and random tools. Ancient embroidered tapestries covered the walls and curtains hung on the sides of built-in shelving. There was a large pile of cots in the corner covered in pillows and blankets. A wardrobe stood next to another door, and a desk covered in stacks of paper covered in familiar handwriting is just a few feet from where you stood. Looking over the room and its contents, there is an instant sense of ease and coziness. So this is where he's been hiding all this time. You chose to sit on the wood and leather chair next to the desk, and as you adjust yourself, a mass of colors flies by and in between The fae's legs. It's the largest cat you've ever seen in your life. Her long, plush fur is a beautiful mixture of colors, a calico with tufts coming off the tops of her ears. Her purring fills the room as she runs her face against his calves, but stops when she notices you. Her bright green eyes stare at you with curiosity before she trods over to you and jumps in your lap. She lifts her giant fluffy paw and begins tapping on your chest, pleading for affection with meows. You give in to her demands and as you do so, glance up and catch The Fae staring at you cooing over his animal companion. He quickly looks away and begins pretending to worry about a crack in the wall. You smile and shake your head as you try to distract yourself from the reason you are here with this new furry friend. "What's her name?"