Chapter 2

"Was that really necessary?"

"Yes... Okay, nowhere on the package did it say it would explode like that."

"There was a package?"

"Calm down. It's just glitter. With really bad dye."

"Did you dye the glitter yourself?"

"Maybe... Okay, they didn't have any red left and I know it's your favorite color and I had to make sure it would turn out right, so I just started experimenting and, I swear, I had no idea the dye would run into the balloon and I definitely didn't know the balloon would explode and-"

"Vittorie! Calm down! It's fine."

"You sure?"

"Of course I am. You just should be glad my white jeans were in the wash."

"But your white shirt is ruined and I know it's your favorite."

I surveyed my reflection in the mirror. It was my favorite shirt, but now it had a large red stain all down the front.

"Well, now all I need to do is stick a plastic knife in it and then I can use it for Halloween next year." I heard Vittorie sniff a little behind me and knew that she was about to cry.

"Hey! It's okay! I can get a new shirt. It's not that big of a deal."

"B- But I just ruined your birthday..."

"There will be other birthdays. And plus, the only way you can ruin this one is by not coming to the mountains with me."

"A- Are you s-sure?"

"I'm positive. Now come on. Don't wanna be late for class."

I stopped by my locker before heading into class and grabbed the hoodie I always kept in the back of my locker, in case of emergencies. And in this case, it definitely was. I pulled it on and headed into my class. Lucky for me, the teacher's back was turned and I was able to grab the seat next to Paul.

"Hey," I heard him whisper to me, "Happy birthday, loser."

"Thanks asshole," I whispered back with a smirk on my face.

He slipped me something beneath his desk to my lap. I looked down. A small box in blue wrapping paper and a tiny silver bow faced me. I looked at Paul. He smiled at me and nodded. I slipped the bow off and gently took off the wrapping paper, and took off the lid of the box. Inside, a small silver necklace rested. It was a small figure that formed small mountaintops. I felt a smile spread across my face. The bell rang and Paul joined me at my desk.

"So do you like it?"

"I love it! Put it on, put it on!"

Paul smirked and picked up the necklace. He placed it around my neck and closed the clasp. He turned me around and I smiled up at him.

"How does it look?"

"Wonderful. I have fantastic taste, if I do say so myself."

"Haha. But really, thank you."

"Of course. Anything for you."

"Now, I say we go to lunch!"

"Agreed! Hey, by the way, what happened to your top?"

*******

Hello beautiful! Thank you so much for reading this story! Now that it's actually summer, I promise I'll try to update regularly, and maybe get at least 1/4 of the way through by July. We can only hope. I love you guys!

Social Media (so far!):

Instagram- @embyres

Pinterest- @embyresburning