Chapter one: The New Girl Trope

a/n disclaimer: hi all, first off, thanks for reading!! second of all, this is a story that I'm writing for fun so I may change certain plot things or the order that they occur but those changes are intentional!! either for flow or the sake of the story i want to tell!!

CHAPTER ONE | THE NEW GIRL TROPE
NINA'S POV

"What do you think of my first day outfit?" Elena's question is way too cheery for this early in the morning, but she's actually having a good day so I can't blame her. "You never told me back at the house. I want your honest opinion, but also be nice because we're already here."

I frown as another teen boy's eyes focus on my chest. My arms instinctually move upwards so that the book in my hand covers a bit more skin. "Do you want nice or do you want honest?"

She sighs loudly. "You're just in a bad mood because you spilled coffee on your shirt and had to change into the only thing I could find in the back of the car."

"The car thing was so your fault because you slammed the brakes."

Elena rolls her eyes. "It was either that or a car accident."

This morning, things were going so well for me I started to think that I was going to have something rare: the perfect first day. I woke up on time and got ready in record time. My hair, which is normally a mess of dark waves and deep pink highlights that frame my face, didn't look bad this morning. I even felt secure enough to let Elena stop at a coffee shop that we passed on the way to school. But I guess the universe was just trying to lure me into a false sense of security, because right before Elena could pull into a parking spot, she had to slam the breaks to avoid a fender bender. Gravity turned my coffee cup into a weapon and it splashed all over my white top.

Elena then proceeded to dig through the backseat of our car to find the most appropriate of the secret shirts she keeps in our car so that our mom doesn't burn them. A low cut, brown baby tee with the words 'if you're bored, dump them' printed on it in white.

"I think I would've rather had a car accident."
My sister sighs. "You're so dramatic. So you look hot and people are looking at you a little more than usual. There are worse ways to spend a first day."

Of course she'd say that. Despite the fact that we've looked exactly the same our whole lives (except for three weeks after Elena dyed some of her hair pink, I thought it looked so cool I stole her left over bleach and dye and did basically the same thing she did), she's the one that flourishes under male attention. I've unintentionally friend zoned every guy that's ever liked me because I can't distinguish between flirty and friendly. The thought of flirting turns me into another, much more awkward person. Elena doesn't have that problem, she's dated before. Half the reason she didn't want to leave home is because she didn't want to leave behind the guy that was just starting to date her.

"Whatever," I mumble, my fingers squeezing the hardcover of my textbook, "I need to find my homeroom. See you around."

Elena waves me off, her attention already on some guy. I wander past a row of lockers, my eyes reading the numbers on the doors. According to my schedule, my homeroom is in room 218. That implies that it's upstairs, but now that I'm on the second floor, I can't find it. Maybe I read the number wrong? I move my textbook away from my chest to check my schedule.

"Cute shirt."

I blink once before turning my head. At first, I thought the comment might have been sarcastic, but the girl I'm looking at seems completely genuine. She's blond, with her that falls near her shoulders. "Thank you."

The guy that has his arm loosely draped around her shoulder looks me up and down slowly. His eyes linger on my chest a few seconds longer than he needs to in order to read what my shirt says. "Are you trying to tell me something, babe?"