50.2. Arriving in New York - Part 2

"Ryuu, wake up!" Erik shakes me gently. "We're almost here."

"W-we are?" I yawn, still half-sleeping.

"Yeah, and you're the only one who slept through the whole journey," he laughs.

I stretch my six limbs and sit up. My maid Ayala comes in to quickly comb my hair and adjust my robe while the flight attendant folds the bed back just in time for landing. The long journey I was dreading so much is over and it wasn't bad at all.

"Now what?" I ask. I was so focused on politics and our agenda that I didn't even ask about basic organisation.

"We check into our hotel, of course," Erik answers.

"A normal one with lots of humans?" I get a bit apprehensive.

"A luxury hotel for ambassadors and with maximum security," he says as if it should have been obvious. "Don't worry, the government made sure there won't be regular guests, just other state representatives staying for the conference."

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Liana greets me when we meet in the corridor. "Although it's already afternoon here."

We proceed to the exit and I see Rien talking with his aunt Bauerova. Oh, now that I think about it... Emi intends to take him with her, meaning he won't return to Europe. I wonder if his parents are worried. I bet they are. Bauerova certainly looks really worried about her nephew.

"Your Majesty, please, talk some sense into him," the Prime Minister pleads desperately when she notices me. "He's too young for such an endeavour."

"I'm twenty-two," Rien shows off his wolfish teeth in defiance.

"He didn't even tell his parents about it," Bauerova cries. "He told me literally just now."

"Because you would try to stop me, duh," Rien retorts.

"And what exactly does Aefener have to do with it that you're asking him?" Emi emerges and looks pissed.

"He's the Emperor," Bauerova says simply.

"The Celestial Emperor," Emi reminds her, annoyed. "I'm Rien's Supreme Alpha."

Damn, it happened again. Why the hell do humans think that I somehow represent all Draconians? Just because it's me who is most visible in the media? I hope this misunderstanding will be finally cleared during the conference.

"Your Majesty, Your Excellency, our escort is waiting," Miruel informs us impatiently.

"We'll talk about it at the hotel," Bauerova concludes for now, refusing to give up.

The guards make a protective formation around us and we exit the plane in a strict order. I can feel the cabin crew is relieved that the flight was without an incident.

I take a deep breath of New York air that feels very different from Prague. My nose isn't even close to Clawfang and Earthborn sensitivity but my Celestial lungs can tell it's foreign. Erik stiffens and clutches my hand firmly. He tries to act all confident but he doesn't feel safe out in the open even if the guards are putting up shields around us.

I look down and see a numerous crowd of people and an avalanche of conflicting human emotions hit me. I try hard to focus on Erik and my fellow Draconians as my safe haven. I realise I stopped being used to perceiving so many humans at once. Since my transformation, I was surrounded mostly by Draconians and my telepathy got even stronger. Will I be okay during the conference?

My feathers stand up a little, mirroring my jarred emotions. The people in suits must be politicians but most of our escort seems to be the army. For the first time ever I'm actually glad to see the press being present as well. The American government shouldn't try anything funny when the whole world is watching.