SIX

I was laying on Charlie's bed beside him as we sat there in utter silence.

He had invited me into his room so we could 'talk.'

Finally, I spoke.

"Why didn't you tell me you got kicked off the Football team?" I asked. "I get that we weren't talking but we tell each other when we have issues, right?"

"Yeah," he whispered. "I should've told you. I was scared that you were going to judge me."

"Charlie Tay----"

"Don't say it," he pleads.

"---lor Baker. I'll never judge you. I'm just trying to understand you."

"I have been pretty distant, haven't I?"

"Yeah but I can't blame you," I tell him as he gives me a huge smile carefully hugging me.

But our happiness is ruined when dad comes into the room rapidly.

"Mark's gone," he said holding up a poster that says 'Why can't everyone understand me like Daphne? You all suck!'

I feel like I'm about to faint.

My worst nightmare has come true.

"What? You can't be serious," Charlie says in concerned.

"I wish I wasn't," he says.

"Dad? About earlier, I'm really sorry about everything I said. I was out of line."

"And I'm sorry for fighting at school and for encouraging the kids to go to Dylan's birthday," I admit.

"Whatever. You were both right. I can't help but still be disappointed in you Daph but at least you appologised about everything and admitted what you did."

He leaned down and hugged me helping me into my wheelchair while Charlie drove around in his car looking for him.

I grab a flashlight and shine it into the darkness.

"Mark!" we yell.

"Mark! We're sorry," I yell. Only the sound of silence.

"Mark! Come on!" Sarah yells.

More tears filled my eyes and all of a sudden I'm balling.

"It's okay. It's okay. It's okay," mom whispers squeezing my hand.

"What if we never find him?" I cry.

"Don't worry. We'll find him," dad says from behind her. "He's our magic number."

Mom heads over to the Shenk's house to see if they'll help look and she takes me with her.

"What? You here to cause more trouble than you've already caused?" Tina asked opening the door.

"Look. I'm sorry, okay? But that's not the reason we're here. Mark ran away. Is he with you?"

"I always knew this would happen," she said. "Maybe if he had actual friends that aren't reptiles----"

"Hey! You don't get to talk about my little brother that way! We already apologized. We've tried to be nice but this is a matter of life and death!" I shout.

' "Daph. Thanks. Let me handle this," mom whispers.

"No need. We'll help you look," Bill said from a corner, Dylan coming down the steps.

"It's past Dylan's bedtime," Tina tried to argue.

"This is the right thing to do. They're our friends," Bill said.