Dead in the Water

Oli sketches in his book as Dean reads a newspaper "Can I get you anything else?" Wendy, the waitress, asks

Oli sketches in his book as Dean reads a newspaper "Can I get you anything else?" Wendy, the waitress, asks. Dean looks up and grins with the pen he's chewing in his mouth. Sam walks over and sits down "Just the check, please." he tells her. "Okay." Wendy nods before walks away. Dean drops his head and looks at Sam "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while. That's fun." he tells Sam, pointing at Wendy. Oli rolls his eyes slightly as Dean hands Sam the paper "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago." he explains. "A funeral?" Sam asks. "Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean explains. "Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam tells him. Oli looks down "Something you want to say to me?" Dean asks. "The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day." Sam responds. "Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?" Dean questions. "I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam tells him. "You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?" Dean asks. "Yeah, I know you do, it's just-" Sam starts. "We're the ones that've been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?" Dean cuts him off, motioning to himself and Oli who is still sketching. Sam rolls his eyes as Wendy walks by, distracting Dean "All right, Lake Manitoc. Hey!" Sam exclaims. "Huh?" Dean asks turning his attention back to Sam. "How far?" Sam asks.

Dean knocks on the door of the Carlton's house, Will Carlton opening it "Will Carlton?" Dean asks. "Yeah, that's right." Will nods. "I'm Agent Ford. This is Agent Hamill and Agent Daniels. We're with the US Wildlife Service." Dean says holding up an ID. Will takes the three brother round to the lake, where his dad Bill is sat on a bench "She was about a hundred yards out. That's where she got dragged down." he tells them. "And you're sure she didn't just drown?" Dean asks. "Yeah. She was a varsity swimmer. She practically grew up in that lake. She was as safe out there as she was in her own bathtub." Will responds. "So no splashing? No signs of distress?" Sam asks. "No, that's what I'm telling you." Will tells them. "Did you see any shadows in the water? Maybe some dark shape breach the surface?" Oli asks. "No. Again, she was really far out there." Will responds. "You ever see any strange tracks by the shoreline?" Dean asks. "No, never. Why? Why, what do you think's out there?" Will asks them. "We'll let you know as soon as we do." Dean tells him, beginning to head back to the car. "What about your father? Can we talk to him?" Sam asks. Will turns to look at his dad and then turns back to them "Look, if you don't mind, I mean...he didn't see anything and he's kind of been through a lot." he explains. "We understand." Oli nods, leading his brothers back to the car.

The three of them head to the Police Station and start talking to the Sheriff, Jake "Now, I'm sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?" he asks. "You sure it's accidental? Will Carlton saw something grab his sister." Sam tells him. "Like what? Here, sit, please. There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake. There's nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness Monster." Jake says, leading them into his office and sitting down with them. "Yeah. Right." Dean laughs. "Will Carlton was traumatized, and sometimes the mind plays tricks. Still- We dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep, just to be sure, and there was nothing down there." Jake explains. "That's weird, though, I mean, that's, that's the third missing body this year." Dean says. "I know. These are people from my town. These are people I care about." Jake tells them. "I know." Oli nods. "Anyway..All this...it won't be a problem much longer." Jake sighs. "What do you mean?" Dean questions. "Well, the dam, of course." Jake responds. "Of course, the dam. It's, uh, it sprung a leak." Dean says. "It's falling apart, and the feds won't give us the grant to repair it, so they've opened the spillway. In another six months, there won't be much of a lake. There won't be much of a town, either. But as Federal Wildlife, you already knew that." Jake explains. "Exactly." Dean nods.