Bitter Realizations

Note: This is a Pihu-Priya centric chapter, where they both find out a few things that change how they think about Ram. The next part will have Pihu and Ram speaking to each other. I originally wanted both of those to be in one part, but the chapter got very long, so I decided to split them up. I hope you guys like this. Thank you so much for the love and appreciation you guys have given to this story. I really appreciate it, especially as it is my first time properly writing anything like this. 

Pihu walked back into Ram's room, her feet dragging and Priya following a bit further behind her. She felt a bit tired and her feet were aching slightly. Carefully, she slumped onto the bed, pulling her legs up slowly. She removed the ribbon from her hair, placing it on the side table, and laid back against the pillows for a few moments.

The outing with Krish had been a pleasant one. He took them to a rather lovely shopping complex in South Bombay, and the three of them spent two and a half hours together. Priya bought a new salwar suit for herself while Krish bought a new pair of aviators and another three piece suit. Pihu, however, hadn't asked for anything, partially because she was distracted.

For the duration of the outing, Pihu's mind kept wandering back to Ram. A part of her wished he had agreed to come with them, because she wanted to speak to him properly. But, he had a therapy appointment to attend. Pihu remembered how tired he had looked as he spoke about that. She hoped he would be ok, and that his therapy, whatever that meant, would help him feel better.

Pihu had reassured herself about this before she and Priya had left to meet Krish as well, but she wasn't really sure why she felt the need to do so. Something about the way Ram had behaved before he left, the exhaustion in his voice, had bothered her. It did more than bother her, it hurt her.

She didn't like seeing Ram upset. He had been so soft with her earlier that afternoon, and then before he left he had looked so...defeated. Pihu had almost leaned in and hugged him again, but she held herself back. She didn't want to bother him further. Besides, thought Pihu. I don't think a hug by itself could have helped him much.

Still, Pihu wished she could have done something, and said something to comfort Ram at least a little bit. She remained so lost in thought about this that even Priya and Krish eventually noticed, when they decided to go to a cafe for a small snack. "Pihu, is something bothering you?" asked Krish, when they were sitting at a booth in a corner. Pihu didn't answer. Priya joined them soon after she finished ordering coffee and pastries for them. "Pihu? Pihu!" she said. "Huh?" said Pihu, shaking her head slightly and looking around. "Krish is asking you something," said Priya.

"Oh! Oh, I-I'm so sorry, I-I was thinking about something," said Pihu. "What were you thinking about?" asked Krish, raising his eyebrows slightly. Pihu was silent for another moment. "What's therapy?" she asked him. "Therapy? Why are you asking about something like that?" asked Krish. Priya looked a bit uncomfortable now, but Pihu didn't notice. 

"Someone I know said he was going to therapy today," she replied, hoping Krish would answer her without asking anything else. "Someone you know? Who is it?" asked Krish, more amused now. "Just a classmate," said Pihu. "Can you just answer me please?" She was starting to feel a bit irritated now. 

"Pihu, maybe we should talk about something else," said Priya. Pihu turned to Priya with exasperation on her face. That was when she noticed Priya's expression. She looked nervous and her eyes seemed to be silently pleading with Pihu to stop talking. Pihu wasn't sure how to respond to this, so she turned to Krish again. "I just want to know what the word means. Please?" she asked again.

"Alright, alright" said Krish. "Therapy is a place where people talk about how they are feeling and what they think is affecting their feelings." "Who do people talk about their feelings with?" asked Pihu. She looked a bit more interested now. "People discuss their feelings with a therapist. A therapist is like a feelings doctor. They help you understand why you feel the way you do and what to do about it. Does that help?" said Krish. "Yes. Thank you," replied Pihu.