Emelie

A/N - THIS SONG>>> (Edit: I recommend checking out Violet's other stuff since this was a song from an album owned and profited off by a record company that screwed her over")

"All of the pain was there to stay."

Before I know it, the closet doors are wrenched open, hands are around my throat and my back is pressed against the wood of the cottage wall. Dust clouds my view as the wooden supports shake and buckle against the force at which Xavier slams my body into them. I feel his nails scratch my trachea, his eyes glowing the deepest of reds. 

"What have you done?" He snarls, baring his teeth, the veins on his neck glow red, pulling at his skin as if trying to rip it apart. My vision blurs as he tugs on my shirt, gripping my neck tighter, "This is all your fault." His voice is wirey and hoarse. Only moments later, his body jerks backwards and he clutches his head in his hands, a whimper erupting from his throat.

"Abissmal creature!" My father cries, holding a knife against his paled skin. Thoughts scatter through my head, every one less sensical than the last. My skull  still aching, vision blurred, I run towards the Faerie, enveloping him in an embrace, begging my father not to hurt him.

"Please, stop!" 

"He's sick!"

I can feel the irregular beat of his heart, pounding far faster than it should. He's sweating and shaking under my grasp. He sobs, slowly breaking into peices, each cry deeper and more desperate.

"Isla's dead. They're all dead." He sobs again, his voice cracking before he is reduced tot a spluttering, coughing mess on the floor. Blood runs down his nose, his veins fighting his skin, vigorously pressing against the tissue. I stroke his hair, holding him tight.

"It's ok... you're ok." I feel his heart beat slow as his lungs begin to fill with mucus which begins to dribble from his mouth. His body stills. It's odd. I'm still holding him. However, his body is cold and limb in my hands. He's not there anymore. He's gone. Yet, he's still in my arms. A tear runs down my cheek. I can't help it. He's so... empty.

"Get away from it Emelie!" My father cries, stepping back slowly, sheilding Noah and my mother, who had emerged from their hiding places at my cry, behind his arm. I lay his head on the floor, a sullen feeling of numbness spreading throughout my body.

"He's gone." It's a grotesque sight. His eyes and veins glow red, his skin ghostly, a strange substance pouring from his mouth.

Suddenly, such a happy momment feels rather tainted.

***

Mother  throws a tablecloth over his body, sitting beside me by the fire as I stare into space. She hands me a mug of herbal tea.

"You knew him." It's not a question. Maybe a declaration of disbelief. I couldn't bring myself to care.

"I don't know. I don't know what's real or what's a dream anymore." I clench my eyes shut before looking over at her. She looks rather absent.

"Maybe it's all a dream. Maybe none of it is real. Just... you're not the one dreaming." I furrow my brows, watching her slightly parted lips and distant gaze.

"What?" I ask intently, "What do you mean?" She looks over at me, becoming present once again.

"Sorry, sweetheart?" She looks puzzled.

"What did you say?"

"Just that I'm sorry you had to watch something like that happen to a friend," She says without hesitating, "I know your father is a little cautious but he'll come around." I sip my tea, slightly cautious of her easy tone.

"You think I should go?" After Xavier had died, I'd immediately started to pack my bag, insisting that I find the Seelie Court. A combination of Ari and father's words had managed to calm me down but I was still firmly set on the idea. While... neither of them were too keen. Currently father was in his room pacing back and forth, horrified by the idea that a Faerie had even got into the village and Ari was sat on the dining table, staring down at the body of a King.

"I think we should go together. It seems you will not have peice until you do so but it is not safe for a girl like you to go alone." Her voice is soft, comforting. I nod, if not to please my father then to keep an eye on my mother. 

Something just feels... off.

 Overall, I must find Isla. If she really is dead, I'd feel it. I know I would. Instead I feel something else. Like, a dull tug pulling on our bond, as if someone were trying to revive it from its torn state.

She is alive.

She is alive.

She has to be alive.

***

I was surprised when father agreed with our plan to leave in the morning. Then again, he'd always respected our mother and often entertained her ideas. Ari demanded he come with us and we left Noah with one of father's friends. Once again, my life was free of bliss and infected with worry and concepts of vengence. Whoever had done this- they would pay. Emelie would make sure of it.

"Alright. This looks like a good place to rest." Ari declares, studying the map I'd roughly drawn based on what I remembered. I only nod, knees buckling from exhaustion as they began setting up the tent. I'd explained slightly how I knew Xavier. I had only said I had visited him a while back. Ari knew I had omitted part of the truth and I could tell he was aching to get it out of me.

We were sat beside each other as the fire burnt.

"So... how are you holding up?" He looks concerned, like he's seen something he doesn't like.

"Alright... missing Noah, I didn't even get to see Rihannon before we left." He furrows his brows at my response.

"You're hiding something from them." He's refering to my parents who are currently asleep in the tent. He 's doing that thing adult too when they try to get to to tell them something. He's acting like he's in on the secret, that I'm not trying to hide it from him too.

"The rest of the story is pointless anyway," I say nonchalantly.

It wasn't; it was the most important part.

He nods slowly, evidently, not believing me.

"He mattered to you. You loved him. And I didn't even know." Ari's face is red, his gaze upon the floor.

"I didn't." I say, without too much thought before adding, "Not like that." His hand grips tighter onto his thigh.

"But you loved someone," He whispers into the night air, "You lost them. I saw it in your eyes when he died. Rememberance." Silence veils us, the wind enlarging the flames of the fire so it danced across the shadows.

"Yeah." That's all I say. There's a glimpse of sorrow in my voice, one that startles Ari slightly. He nods, seeming to understand why I haven't really talked about it. After a while, he stands.

"I'm going to get some rest." He pauses, "You should too." I smile over at him. I know I won't be able to sleep without Isla beside me. Before he reaches the tent, he turns back to me.

"Em... who's Rihannon?"

A/N

Thanks for reading!!

Hope things are making a lil more sense to everyone now. Of course, there's quite a bit more to unpack but things are starting to unravel now...

Hope you all have a lovely day :)