Chapter 20: The Confrontation

I awoke several hours later; unlike in previous times, I knew where I was. I rolled over and saw a sleeping Severus; I had never seen him look so peaceful. He stirred slightly, revealing the mark on his left forearm that Kara had been so provoked by; it looked like an ordinary tattoo. I felt the familiar sting in my heart for him. Severus didn't look evil; intimidating, yes. Evil? No. He certainly didn't help his reputation with his bad attitude and belittling remarks. But that was his problem.

Severus awoke slowly, squinting in the blinding sunlight -  he let out a deep sigh and rubbed his hand over the stubble that had begun to poke through. 

"Good morning, Sev," I said softly.

"Morning," he mumbled back, rising into a sitting position and taking his white button-up off the chair near the bed. Severus dressed, wearing the same outfit as yesterday and the day before. 

"Do you ever wear different clothes?" I asked in a lighthearted voice. 

"Coffee?" He asked instead, avoiding the question entirely. I nodded at him and got out of bed as well. The events of last night seemed like a distant memory; however, my right leg throbbed as I got up. I winced and tried to make the short trip to my trunk, he was watching me and I didn't want to have him fuss over me. So I sucked it up and managed to get to my trunk without provoking a comment. I chose a comfy long-sleeved crop top and sweatpants. With a raised eyebrow, Severus proceeded to the kitchen while I went into the bathroom to change. 

I joined him moments later at the small dining table: it was black and well worn, the wood peeking through scratches and scuffs. I took the chair across from him, a cup of steaming coffee waiting for me. Severus sat with a cup in one hand and a book in the other; he looked up briefly as I sat down.

"Not a morning person?" I asked, laughing a bit, picking up my cup and taking a small sip. Severus only grunted, which I took as a no. We continued having our coffee in silence. The dungeons were colder today, the type of cold that gets into your bones. I shivered, my shirt barely keeping out the cold and the coffee only providing a few seconds of warmth as it made its way down. Severus got up then and made his way over to his wardrobe; much like the other furniture he owned, it was well worn, and its hinges screamed when he opened it. 

"You'll have to put some WD-40 on that," I said.

"I don't know what that is," Severus answered monotonously; he came over and thrust a black sweater at me three sizes too big. I looked at him questionably but took it from him nonetheless. 

"You were shivering," Severus said, sitting back down and resuming sipping his coffee. I felt my cheeks grow hot - I got up and pulled it over me; the sweater almost reached my knees and covered my hands entirely. It smelled strongly of him, and I felt safe as his scent surrounded me. 

"We should go up and see Miss Hart soon before Madame Pomfrey decides visiting hours are over," He said, staring out of the window behind me. I nodded and took a final sip of coffee. The cups floated up off the table and into the sink. 

*******************************************

Severus held the door to the hospital wing open as I walked inside and to my surprise, Kara and Sapphire were already there. 

"We received an owl last night from McGonagall," Sapphire said in a soft voice. Severus came in behind me, keeping his distance. Kara stood up abruptly and drew her wand.

"What are you doing here!" She demanded.

"Kara, wait!" I protested, but she ignored me.

"Let me guess - this is your fault, some nerve you have to show up here!"