Chapter 36

Aragon.

If it wasn't for all that I have suffered for this land to prosper, I would call it home. No, this place was never home a to me. I hear the running feet of my companion approach the tree line. While I wait for them to reconvene, I longingly stare at the cloudy sky. An extraordinary blanket of thin clouds spread for miles in the sky, blocking out every inch of it. But I remember what lies beyond it. "There you are!" Bo runs up to me. "We lost you there for a second." Beau follows his twin. They both look winded and surprised. I glance back at everyone else. They all look like they've run for miles. How fast did I run? I don't feel like I've used any power, but it was a bad idea to venture on my own.

"How did you know that the Ruins was in this path?" Gawain asks, suspiciously. I grasp at straws to come up with a reasonable lie, but it doesn't matter what I say. I can tell by his face that whatever I say, he won't believe me. I shrug my shoulders nonchalantly. "Those thistles are native to the three-way border," I say to him, deciding to stick to one truth, "I was intrigued by them since I've never seen the kind before. I wanted to study them and came upon the cliff." A corner of Rhydian's mouth twitches at my response. Vera accepts my explanation without question and walks over to where I'm standing. Draxum and Goosey does the same. "There's something off about this place." Vera stares at Aragon. "Our families always avoided the Ruins, but when they left, we wandered in. In the days we stayed here, strange began things happened."

Incredible interesting. Obviously, Inferno has something to show me. If only it could just tell me rather than show me. My life would be so much easier if it could. "We felt like someone was watching us." Goosey clutches Vera's arm. The fog obstructs my view of the kingdom. I won't be able to tell if there's someone or something waiting for me. "I'll go in alone." I speak, set on my decision, and hear Rhydian start to protest. "If, and only if, I don't return within the hour, then you, Rhydian, can go in after me. No one else, just you. Agreed?" Finished, I turn around and give him a hard look. His lips press into a grim line and nods once. Satisfied, my face softens as I meet Draxum's gaze. "I'll be alright," I pull him into a hug, "There's nothing down there that will cause me harm. I'm going to look around and come back, ok?" He mumbles a reluctant 'ok'.

I let him go, keeping my stance relaxed. "We'll set up camp while you," Vera nods to the Ruins, "go explore." I watch as one by one they go back to the safety of the woods. Goosey grabs Draxum's hand and leads him away. He shyly smiles at her as they walk away. It seems that my dear Draxum is smitten. Rhydian is the last to leave. I purposefully avoid his eyes and begin my trek down. Aragon isn't far from the cliffs, but it is far enough for me to remember the first time I came to Aragon. I stole away into the night, leaving Benwick House and Lancelot without a word.

A few days prior, I overheard Lance and Merlin talk about Arthur's crown and what it held. I was angry and frustrated. I was constantly training without knowing why and I couldn't stand it anymore. So that night, I hid the Cursebreakers in my room at Benwick and left. I traveled great lengths to get here and at one point intercepted a caravan that was on their way here. Mordred was yet to be crowned king and Avalon was long gone. I walked the same path I am walking on now. Before, the main road was bustling with life. People walking to and fro from excitement and purpose. I went straight to the marketplace to help the caravans sell their goods. I had hoped to stay with them, but fate was on my side. I met Ygraine that day, looking for new jewelry. We became friends pretty quickly after that. Now, it's empty. Void. The fog covers the land and buildings like a blanket choking the life out.

I swallow harshly, taking a cautious step. Nature has taken over the land. The cobble roads are overgrown and shattered by weeds. The beautiful memories of my first day here evaporate into the fog and turns into a dreadful one. As my final memory of the old kingdom filter in the shadows of the fog, I begin to hear distorted voices. The screams and cries of the people in mass hysteria overwhelms me, slamming into me. My feet take me down the Ruins on their own accord. Leading me to whatever the kingdom holds in store for me. I weave between the old shacks and shops. Overgrown grass sprout from the cobblestones and the foundations of many of the buildings are so close to crumbling. Many have already.