Chapter 6

Hopper's POV

I spent the whole day with Joyce,taking care of her and doing everything that I could do to make her feel better after everything that went on last night. The kids would not be home until tomorrow night so we still had a full day to oursleves. My daughter El was also at the sleepover which meant that neither I nor Joyce had any responsibilities.

I slowly walked to Joyce's room to check up on her for the millionth time this day. She was still feeling really weak and she hasn't been able to get anything down her stomach. She only drank a bit of water only because I insisted on it.

I let my hand fall on the door knob and the door made a squeaking noise as it opened,revealing Joyce sleeping peacefully. At least I thought she looked peaceful but I don't know if her nightmares had other plans.

It was a very cold night and I can say I was utterly surprised to the sight of Joyce  sleeping without her fluffy blanket resting on top of her. She was slightly shivering but I didn't know if it was because of the cold or if she was having another nightmare. Me being me I decided to get both things covered. I just wanted her to have a good sleep for once. I wanted to be able to protect her at all costs and I didn't know why I was falling for her again. Especially now. But I couldn't help myself. She looked so beautiful even while asleep. Stop it Hopper. Stop! You can't be doing this right now. Just do anything you can do to make her feel safe and forget about all the other stuff you're thinking about. She doesn't like you back get over it. I thought to myself.

With a sigh of disappointment, I walked towards her and covered her under her blanket. A smile appeared on her face and the butterflies in my stomach started having a party again.

This whole time, I felt like a strong metal hand was squishing my heart and every time Joyce cried or looked upset, the grip tightened. But now,having noticed how she looked more comfortable than before, I felt free. Like the hand was never there and my heart could finally beat normally.

Hidden deep in my thoughts I never realised the fact that Joyce had woken up. I was sitting on a chair right beside her waiting just in case anything happened.

"Hop... Is that you?" Joyce whispered.

"Yeah I'm here. Is everything okay?" I inquired.

"I'm feeling a little better" She responded in an awkward way.

I saw her look down and start picking at her nails while biting the inside of her mouth,a habit that she had developed overtime which meant something was going on.

"Hey...is everything okay? Was it another nightmare? You know you can talk to me."

"No Hop I'm fine. Thank you for caring. But... I'm kind of hungry. Do you want to have pizza?"

"Sure Joyce. I'll go order it. Just call me if you need anything okay?"

"Yes Hop. Thank you."

I knew something was off but I didn't want to pressure her to talk about it if she didn't want to. I'd let her tell me as soon as she felt ready to do so. I gave her a smile that she returned and stood up to go order us some pizza.

Joyce's POV

As soon as Hopper left the room I started to think about the dream that I had.

I was in the kitchen cooking dinner. Everything was okay until Hopper came and hugged me from behind. His arms around my waist made me feel butterflies flying around in my stomach. I turned around, and he kissed me in the sweetest way a person can be kissed. As soon as we pulled away,I wrapped my arms around his neck and he placed both hands on my waist,never breaking eye contact. We hugged and laughed in each others' arms until...I woke up.

I was confused, genuinely confused. Did I actually love Hopper or do I feel this way just because he's so good at taking care of me? My heart was beating like a drum and it was clear that I was nervous. But not in a bad way. I was nervous because I realised that everything that happened in my dream is actually everything that I've been wanting to happen all these years. Lonnie never took care of me the way Hopper does. He was never there for me when I needed him like Hopper is. All this time, I've been wanting this feeling, I've been searching for it. And I was confused as to why I had never felt that love and affection that I was searching for while being married. But now I know.  The person I was married to was incapable of making me feel loved. But Hopper is... As soon as he walked inside of the house yesterday,it felt like this big empty spot in my heart got filled with love and became warm again. He was just like this back in highschool but I was too blind to realise it.

And then...it all started to add up. Do you love him Joyce? Are you in love again?

I was ashamed of myself and afraid to admit it but...I love his big ocean eyes that I could swim and drown in for hours,I love his big warm hugs that make my heart flourish, I love the way he makes me feel when I am around him,I love how overprotective he is over me even though we haven't seen each other in years, I love all his perfect imperfections...I love him