Part 1

Author's note: thanks so much for choosing to read this story! I hope you enjoy it! :)
You can also find it over on Tumblr — my account there is runnning-outof-time. I just posted the final chapter on there today and decided that I'd share this with my lovely readers on here...if there even is anyone left.
———

"I'll let you off here and I won't go any further," the cab driver announced as he brought the vehicle to a stop.

"Thank you," (Y/N) answered, handing him money before she exited the car with her small bag in hand. It held everything she had to her name. Of course, it wasn't all of her belongings, but it was what she was able to collect in a hurry.

After doing a quick spin to take in her surroundings, she made her way down the street to a building that had a small 'lodging' sign hung over its door. She knocked on the door and was greeted by an older lady, who quickly took her in and showed her an apartment that was available. Luckily she'd also brought a lump sum of money from her family's stash.

The woman left (Y/N) shortly after the money was transferred. The first thing that she did was open one of the windows, which let the industrial sounds of Small Heath, Birmingham invade the space. It wasn't quite music to her ears, but she'd have to get used to it since she was living there now. She also left the door open, enjoying the cross breeze that it brought into the apartment.

In her own little world, she began unpacking the small amount of things she had with her. Then, out of nowhere, a woman's voice came from the door. "Are you new here?" the person asked, making (Y/N) quickly spin around to see a woman with blonde hair and a simple dress standing in the doorway.

"I, uh...yes, I am," she answered after her initial shock wore off.

"I'm in the apartment next door. My name is Grace," she introduced herself, a smile on her face.

"Nice to meet you, Grace. I'm (Y/N)," (Y/N) sent a friendly smile back.

"If you ever need anything, feel free to knock on my door," Grace then told her, motioning in the direction of her door then.

"I will, thank you," (Y/N) nodded. The conversation finished after that, and (Y/N) went back to arranging everything so that it was to her liking.

——

A few days later, (Y/N) went over to the door next to hers and knocked on it gently. She hoped that the person she was looking for would be inside. Moments later, the door opened.

"(Y/N)," Grace greeted, surprise flashing across her face, "do you need something?"

"Yeah," (Y/N) nodded before continuing, "I wanted to ask you if you knew of anywhere that might have a job opening. I've only been here a few days and I'm already climbing up the walls with boredom."

"I work at a pub. It's called the Garrison. I'm not sure if the owner has any spots available, but I can ask him for you," she answered, a slight smile on her face as she nodded in understanding.

"That'd be great. Thank you, Grace," (Y/N) sent a smile back.

"Sure, no problem," Grace responded, her eyes glancing around (Y/N) for a moment. It was as if she was scanning the area around her. "I was expecting someone soon, actually," she said then, breaking the momentary silence that had fallen between them.

"Oh, ok. I'll leave you alone then," (Y/N) said as she began taking steps back to her apartment, "thank you again for asking him." Grace merely smiled before both of the women stepped back into their apartments.

——

A little over a week later, (Y/N) found herself walking down Garrison Lane. She hadn't heard from Grace after asking her about a possible job, so she decided to take matters into her own hands. After asking the lodging owner where the Garrison was located, and receiving a wide-eyed look in response, (Y/N) was on her way to find work for herself.