• Online Trolling •

When the computer screen turns on, you are bombarded with insults. You hear a voice from behind you.

Unknown: Now that’s no way to be greeted, is it? I’m Tanvi and my team and I are here to help you!

You are grateful that Tanvi and the three other people behind her are there for you. You don’t like it when those bullies mess with you.

Tanvi: I know it can be so overwhelming sometimes. But, not to worry, we’re here to explain all about what trolling is and how to avoid/combat it.

You: Trolling?

Tanvi: That’s what this is called. When a person insults another online just to apprise controversy in that community. There are various forms of trolling, but this one is called cyber bullying.

Tanvi: And, don’t worry, you don’t have to be scared anymore. I found this meme online and thought it resembled trolls quite well.

Tanvi reaches for her phone and shows you the picture.

You laugh. You’re already starting to feel better thanks to Tanvi! But what about the rest of the crew? As if reading your mind, Tanvi answers.

Tanvi: And these are my teammates, Divya, Zohra, and Mags! Divi will be sharing a story with us about a social media enthusiast who was only trying to do some good, but instead got harassed by online trolls. Go on, Divi!

Divya: Oh, I will, but first let me give another example of what a troll could do and a little bit more about what it is.

They could go into an online discussion on astronomy and insist that the earth is flat in order to provoke an emotional and verbal response from community members.

Although the term “trolling” has become a part of mainstream conversation, its connotations can undermine the seriousness of the abuse targets face. The language we use to describe a problem has a huge impact on how we approach it, and ultimately, how we solve it.
If you don’t agree with the thing being said you can always walk away from there nobody is going to force you to watch it.

I know, it seems quite weird that someone would do this. But, what I like to do to lighten the mood is to imagine what their face would look like if someone agreed. Something like this, probably:

 Something like this, probably: