chapter one

Three siblings were dressed formally, getting ready for a family portrait, just playing like children. The baby sister, who's three, calls out to their mom, who, with all elegance to her appearance, appears with a smile. 

"Please, children, behave. I want one painting with your father and all of us together.

"Your mother is right, kids. Not every day do we get a nice painting of all of us together.

The siblings nodded and adjusted their clothes and hair and were instructed to stand in their places as their mother went to sit in the chair. The oldest stood on the far left the baby sister in the middle, and the middle brother on the far right, with their father behind the oldest child next to their mother.

Two days later, they came in to get the last bit of the rough draft of the portrait painted before they could relax and let the painter do their job with a bit of magic to boost the process and give it more color and life. The full detailed family portrait was done in three days.

That weekend the family was getting ready for a coming-of-age ceremony for a few kids in the village where a special dye is made, and the children of age are dropped into the said dye

That weekend the family was getting ready for a coming-of-age ceremony for a few kids in the village where a special dye is made, and the children of age are dropped into the said dye. Their hair, eyes, and skin colors change, and authentic markings appear once they are dipped into it.

Three years have passed since then; the eldest is now ten, the middle brother is eight, and their baby sister is now six. It was the time to celebrate their mother's birthday, so the little sister wanted to go to a field of flowers where they grew yarrow, their mother's favorite flower. They stayed there, give or take an hour or so, as the two brothers watched their sister play and have fun in the field of flowers as they talked to one other.

 They stayed there, give or take an hour or so, as the two brothers watched their sister play and have fun in the field of flowers as they talked to one other

The next thing they see is their baby sister covered in bruises. Somewhat panicked, the eldest goes to pick up their sister, and the middle brother gets the flowers the sister had picked, and not before long do healers come to figure out why their baby sister is in pain and bruising. Days had passed, and still no information as to what was going on. They could only help ease the pain the sister was experiencing.

But a month into it, they soon concluded that the little one could not be saved, and she shortly died in their home as the sickness she had caught turned her into a tree.

They went and planted her in the middle of the village as a reminder. Years go by, and flowers and toys are left at the base of the tree as the villagers still mourn the loss of the little one the stuff that was left on the ground as if to say she might like these it'll make her smile.

So that also became a small tradition even the mother comes to read a children's book under that tree.

Five years had passed at this point. It was the eldest coming-of-age ceremony. He has white hair with faded blue and purple ends and gradient blue and purple skin with light purple freckles along his face. The dye that was made for him was a deep red, but if looked at from a different angle, it looked like it had a purple tint. Once, the eldest was lowered into the dye. He begins to feel a change come about him. He was held under for some time, and when he lifted, the others around him saw he had indeed changed. The dark waters had altered his skin and hair color. His eyes had faded to the shade of his race. Along his body, the markings of his clan formed. He stood before them, a member of his elven race, and from then forth upheld the honor and name of his family. His skin was entirely purple, his hair changed to a navy blue, and his eyes changed from an Icey blue to a tinted yellow with a green gradient.

It took two days for his markings to appear. A white line seemed down his chin from his lower lip like his mother, a diamond shape formed in the middle along with two dots on either side under his eyes like his father's and freckles all over his body like the night sky.

It didn't take much time until the eldest worked odd jobs to help others in his village. His father was among the fighters, so even helping the villagers was a must to be sure everyone got their share of a helping hand.

Their father soon puts Helios into training in the mountains above the village. By the waterfall edge, he practiced daily to harness his mind and body to protect those of the town and his clan.

Two years had passed since that day, and Helios had returned home from a long day's practice to find his father waiting for him. A stone look on his face made him hesitant to approach. His father was not one for small talk, nor was he kind with his words at times. Helios cautiously chose his words of welcome."Father, it has been too long. Please come inside."

Helios pushed the door open to his home and motioned for his father to enter. Both men crossed the threshold and stepped into a small area where Helios would prepare his meals. "Father," Helios began.

"Some time has passed since I was placed here

"Some time has passed since I was placed here. Am I not mistaken to say that Coiahme is coming of age.His father gazed upon him with the stern focus of the old elves. He cleared his throat before speaking. "You would be correct, my son. Coiahme has become of age and will partake in the ceremony in two days as you did."

Helios would take a moment to find the correct words to ask his father about the one thing he never had—permission to leave the mountain and return to the village."Father, I would like your permission to go from the mountain and accompany my brother during his ceremony. It can be frightening, and not all of us change the same way."

His father would step toward him, reach out a stern but gentle hand, and playfully ruffle Helios' hair. "My eldest son, Cioahme, has always admired you, and your presence would be most valued. I shall grant you this request. On the condition, you make me a marvelous home-cooked meal. It has been ages since I dined with you." And with those words, Helios was granted a two-day journey from the mountain to lay eyes and hands upon his relatives. He embraced his younger brother and watched him become the next in line to protect the village.