Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

Nick:
I can't speak; I'm trying but the words aren't coming out. I can hear my heartbeat in my ears.

"Tyler?" I manage to say.
"Nick," he says with a slight chuckle. "Wow, I can't believe it's really you..."

I get up from the couch and walk up the stairs.

"Why, I mean how ..."

I can't even get a proper sentence out. This is the last person I ever thought I would hear from again.

"Well, first of all, happy belated birthday --"
"Why are you calling me?" I manage to blurt out.
"Um, okay, right to the point... you were always like that. Well, um, I, my parents; wow. I thought this would be easier but I guess not. I finally stood up to my parents, and they, they kicked me out. I just moved in with my Aunt who they don't really get along with but she supports me and I just, I mean who else would I call with this news?"

Who else would I call with this news? Did he think we would just fall into the place we were a year ago? Did he think I was just waiting here for the day he would come back? For all I knew, he was never coming back.

"I mean, of course I had to call you to tell you this. There was no one else I wanted to talk to once I got out of that toxic environment. I almost went straight to your house since I'm only a couple of towns over now but I heard that you moved recently."

At this point I think I've been silent for over five minutes. I can't help it, I'm in a state of disbelief. If Tyler would have called even two months ago, I feel like I would have fell right back to how we were. But things are different now, I'm different. Charlie has changed everything for me.

"Wow," I manage to say. "That's a lot."

He laughs. "I'll say. I also wanted to apologize. I should have fought harder for us; I just, I didn't want to lose my family. And now that I still lost them, it feels like I gave us up for nothing."
"You don't have to apologize. It was never your fault," I say.

I can literally hear his smile through the phone.

"Thank you for saying that. You always knew how to cheer me up. How are you? How's your Mum? Nellie?"
"They're great. Mum got transferred and that's why we moved. How long have you been staying at your Aunt's?"
"About a week now," he says. "Living a lie got tiring and my parents, they just, didn't love me enough to accept me, I guess.."
"I always told you that you deserved better than them."
"I know."

It is still a little unbelievable how easily Tyler and I can fall into conversation as if no time had passed. And yeah, I was caught off guard when he called, but talking to him now, I know that I do not have those feelings for him anymore. Still, I'm proud of him.

"I think it's really great that you were able to accept yourself and stand up for yourself. I always knew you could, I'm proud of you."
"Heh, thanks Nick. So, this might be, well it is, completely out of the blue, just like this phone call. But, I was wondering if maybe you wanted to like get together sometime... catch up?"
"It would be great to see you, but I also need to be honest with you. I'm not sure if you're even looking to maybe start things up with us again, but I um, I met someone," I say.

The line is silent for a minute before he begins to speak again.

"Oh wow. I mean, of course you did. You're amazing, and I'm a moron. I'm so sorry. I don't know why I thought I would call you and everything would be the same. I guess because time kind of paused for me the night that I left and I've been standing still ever since. But wow. I'm um, I'm happy for you, really."

I know Tyler well enough to know that even though he's hurt, he is being sincere.

"Thank you. And really, it's great to hear from you. And if you still want to catch up sometime, or if you need a friend, I'm here."
'Yeah?" He asks hopefully.
"I can't pretend that you and I never happened. But aside from the relationship aspect, you were one of my best friends and I'm here for you if you need me. You just went through a huge change."
"Thanks. It's just, um, it's really great to hear your voice."