Chapter 34 - Nathaniel

"Keep it up Yoshi, you're doing good." Nathaniel was letting Yoshi attack him in their sparring match. Occasionally he would give Yoshi a tap or a push when he felt Yoshino would overreach and leave himself vulnerable. He had him use two short batons in their close quarters training so that Yoshi could get used to them.

He could feel Yoshi getting a little aggressive and gave him a firm tap. Yoshi's hits continued to get more aggressive and riskier so Nathaniel gave him a hard shove to the ground. Yoshino was visibly getting upset and angry. "Take it easy kid, calm down." He charged once again and was shoved to the ground again. He growled and gripped his batons tightly. He didn't know or understand how but he started channeling energy into them.

Yoshi lunged once again but caught Nathaniel off guard. Nathaniel felt a blow to his knee that shot pain throughout his leg. Magic...fuck.. He looked up at Yoshi from the ground. "Yoshi.." He could hear Kino yelling to her son to stop just before he was struck in the head.

The lights started to go black and all the sounds faded. Everything was black and cold until there was a blinding light and warmth covered his face. When he opened his eyes, he was standing in a forest. The light warmed the air, animals rustled around and birds sang sweet songs. The wind carried a voice calling to him as a fawn snuck up behind him and nudged his hand. The small deer tugged on his pant leg and led him through the woods. He followed it into a small clearing where it had stopped and turned back. The sun was brighter with few trees giving shade.

There was a structure made of branches and logs that looked like a naturally made gazebo. As his eyes adjusted to the brightness, he noticed the figure of a woman sitting inside. The voice continued to call to him as he stood there apprehensively. He decided to move forward, walking slowly to the woman. She smiled at him as he approached her and she stood up to greet him. "It's been a long time my son, please, sit. We don't have a lot of time."

Her skin had subtle green and yellow pigment to it and she was adorned with leaves and vines. Her hair was wild and free flowing and as red as fire. She was beautiful and he could tell she was one with the nature around her. He sat down beside her and she gladfully took his hand. "It has been a really long time Natit, sorry, Nathaniel. I'm sure you have many questions for me."

"You're Gaia aren't you? Am I dead?" he asked curiously and she looked around.

She laughed slightly, "I am your mother and no sweetie, you are not dead. You are unconscious and your friends will wake you soon."

"So this is not heaven? Doesn't seem like heaven"

She smiled, "heaven and hell are human concepts sweetie. But the typical white pearl gates with angels and stuff is Chronos' domain. We each have our own land within the astral realm.. And I can not leave this place anymore."

"What do you mean? You're trapped here?"

She nodded and looked around. "Our kind sweetie, gain our power through our followers. You and your sisters don't have this issue because you live among them but we don't. Over the millennias, fewer and fewer people paid tribute to me and as a result, my power has waned. Humans damaged the Earth severely but it's starting to turn green again, however despite the magic used to restore it, it will still take decades or centuries. I'm trapped here because this realm, this forest is keeping me alive.

"Chronos is well, Chronos. He has assumed many Gods in the earthling's religions and always stays charged. Lucifer is unique in that besides being Lucifer, he doesn't need all that much. Chaos does the job just fine and this universe is chaotic. Lastly, Heil has her own merry band of followers and as the personification of Death, people fear her.