Monday

The boy was jarred awake at 12:07 before he was dragged out of bed and led to the sheriff's office.

His parents lay dead in the living area and, the man pulling his arm, wasn't the sheriff or the deputy.

"HEEEELP!!!" He screamed.

The man backhanded him and suddenly fell to the ground.

The new man in town, one of the Navy, was standing there with his hand held flat and his forearm at a forty five degree angle.

He'd knocked the stranger out cold.

"You alright, kid?" He asked.

"I wanna go home." The boy cried.

"Alright, alright. Dry those eyes. Come on. Up you go."

He picked the boy up and sat him on his forearm.

"Now, there. Which way is your home?"

"That way, but, my mom and dad are dead!" The boy wailed.

"Just who else would ask me to bring you back home? I was just over there. They were drinking some tea as I left. I've already told your parents, but someone is looking for anyway they can to pin the banker's death on you. They should be loading up a wagon with supplies. You'll be heading to my ranch until this all blows over."

He walked the boy back to his parents' home and knocked on the door.

It opened and the woman's eyes shot wide.

"Ben!"

"Momma!"

The man let the boy down and asked.

"Are you all ready, Ellis?"

"Yes. Francis is almost finished loading the coach."

"Coach? Huh. . . I guess I should thank Michael."

"The driver's name is David."

"I never hired anyone named David. I'll drive you myself. I don't like this, at all."

"Are you certain? Your name is Franklynn Goulding, right?"

"That is correct, but I never hired a driver named David."

Around 7:00 in the morning...

"You all ready to go?"

"Yes sir."

Franklynn's wagon was there with his family's crest on the sides.

It was an iron shield with a stylized L

When asked about it's meaning, Franklynn avoided the question. Stating that it was something only family could know about.

His cart was loaded with their possessions and Ben's father rode by Franklynn.

The other driver, David, had tried to press the issue by claiming that he was hired by a woman who said she worked for Franklynn's family.

Franklynn believed the man, paid him handsomely for his trouble and sent him on his way.

10:50 in the evening.

They stopped to rest for the night.

6:10 in the morning.

Two men approach on horseback, stating that they're bounty hunters looking for a ten year old boy wanted for murder.

They rode off empty handed when no one could find Ben.

Ben's parents were distraught, worried that their son had been taken in the night.

Franklynn walked over and sat on a hollow log. Ben's parents demanding he go look for their boy.